1992 Off-Road Toad

shamobius

BoTM Winner
I'm sure we all have friends who have owned bikes from the late 80s early 90s that we have always envied, and respected their ability to hold on to them from day one. Most of these friends swear they will take their iconic steeds to the grave. But sometimes you detect an almost imperceptible waver in their steadfastness... I know four people in my hometown that bought Toads back then. I had the chance as well, but thought I would buck the trend and get something a little more obscure and non-local (Bradbury Manitou).
One of my friends recently sold traded his Toad for a modern Chromag unbeknownst to me at the time, and it really rattled me. I thought "If he can cave to the temptation of modernization, who will be the next to fall?". So I reached out to another owner, and sure enough he was lamenting the fact that his buddies all had modern full suspension bikes, and he wasn't riding his Toad as much as he should. I then dangled my very nice 2011 Trek Fuel 9.9 EX 26"er under his nose, and slam(!) he took the bait! Reeled him in rather easily and ended up with this beauty...

Re:

A little birdie told me this morning you scored this.
I also heard there have been other Toads trading/selling
in your neck of the woods as of late.
Congrats on the deal. Looking forward to seeing it in a better state.

Re:

that fork...that fork scares me!!! way too much fork for that frame. aren't those bombers like 6-odds pounds in weight? somebody was dialling it in for DH/FR, eh?

Don't worry jimbotoad, the fork will be the first part to go! I just wanted to show the bike in the state I found it. For better or worse. Apparently the fork was the only 1" bouncer that the previous owner could find! I'll be getting it back to rigid ASAP, hopefully Accu-trax, IRD, Gatorblade or Bontrager. I do have a Syncros Powerlite that should fit. And now I really hope to find some IRD brakes and stem, perhaps a Grove Hammerhead stem. You know, the easy stuff to find! For what it's worth, I have a lot of great stuff for trades...

Re:

mmmmm.........Hammerhead.
but that's been done to death. :LOL:

Attachments

• Off Road Toad Orange 003.JPG
    Off Road Toad Orange 003.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,238
  • Camo Toad 012.JPG
    Camo Toad 012.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,238
Nice score Shamus. Look forward to seeing it progress.

One day I'll have my own.......

Re:

Thanks raidan. Your recent Romax build with IRD looks almost exactly like what I would want to do parts wise.

Back