XLR8 - Ritchey Logic Super Tubing Prestige

SlopeSoarer

Retro Newbie
Hi

I have just bought an old rigid XLR8 MTB. I suspect the frame is decent as it is Ritchey Logic Super Tubing by Tange Prestige. The previous owner said he had bought it from someone who intended to rebuild it but never got round to it. There is a real mixed bag of parts on it. Miss matched wheels which ar buckled, drive seems to be mixed components and not very nice. The bloke I got it from says at some point in its life it had good bit on but someone had stripped them all off.

The frame and forks look in superb condition considering it must be mid 90's (guess).

A few questions I have:
Does any one know of XLR8?
Will a modern Shimano groupset fit OK? (68mm BB, 135mm at the rear)

A couple of pics to show you what I'm talking about... is it worth spending a few hundred on?

xlr801.jpg

xlr802.jpg

xlr803.jpg

I was thinking of putting Shimano M610 Triple on if it will fit OK and a pair of Shimano MT35's. Probably do that for £260ish.

Do you think that is doable or is there a better way?

Re:

68mm BB is standard and a modern external BB chainset will fit and 135mm at the rear means a standard 135mm OLN MTB wheel and a 7, 8 or 9 speed cassette will fit, I think 10 speed will fit as well, but not certain.

No idea on the frame, but it looks nice, get it up and running as is, try it and see how it feels. Chances are, it was made in Taiwan, along with 95% of all the steel frames made in the 90s for the likes of Scott, Marin, Kona etc..

XLR8 were sold through Lesuire Lakes, not sure if it was there own brand.

Still a nice frame and worth getting it how you want it.

If you ever decide to not want it give me a shout :)

Mark

Thanks for the info and encouragement.

To be honest I think it will make a great bike. I have ridden it and it does feel lively even considering binding wheels and jumping gears! Just don't want to waste money, if I can avoid it!

Re:

Here you go, not exactly the same as your frame but maybe yours is from a year or two earlier....

Attachments

• XLR8 004.JPG
    XLR8 004.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 728
  • XLR8 003.JPG
    XLR8 003.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 728
  • XLR8 002.JPG
    XLR8 002.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 728
Re:

I reckon his frame is later, made for V brakes as there's no cantilever brake cable stop.

Well worth saving.

Back