Silly question

sarahh

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
This is a very left field question. I have a 20 year old Cannondale Killer V bike. It was bought for me by my ex boyfriend who had a Super V and was always trying to get me into mountain biking. We didn't last long but the bike came with me when i moved and has been with me ever since. I have never had another bike or wanted one. I used to commute 6 miles every day on it, and when i had babies i had a baby seat on the back of it. Now we're doing longer bike rides with our 11 and 9 year olds I still use it. We did a 35 mile ride the other day and it was great. It's such a smooth, comfortable bike to ride (although a little small). The thing is we are doing the Coast to Coast bike over 4 days soon and I am wondering if I shouldn't have a road or hybrid bike like everyone else. I don't have the space for two bikes so it would be one or the other.
Would anyone else consider doing the coast to coast on a killer v? Am I crazy? Or am I crazy to think about getting rid of it? How much money would I get for it if I sold it???
Any advice gratefully received, I literally know nothing about bikes. I've been on bike websites and i don't know what i want if i get rid of it....i just want it to sing to me like my killer v does!!!

Thanks Al, I will move it, what a wally!
Devout Dirtbag, thank you, that's what I was sort of thinking too, but wasn't sure! We are doing it the hadrian's cycleway which has quite a few off road sections, so I think road bikes wouldn't be great either. I think i was just thinking drop handle bars would be good. My bike needs a service so i will talk to them in the shop about tires. Thank you!

Re:

I dont think converting to drop bars would be worth the effort and you may end up with a position not really suitable for anything.

If the bikes comfy and fits well then picking the right tyres can make a bike suitable for most situations, sounds like a set of semi slicks or narrower tyres with smaller knobbles will be all it takes.

For bike suitability, I regularly go out with the local road club on their fast ride on my CX bike with knobbly tyres, then just for fun I did few actual CX races on my mountainbike just fitted narrower tyres.

Chain reaction have some 26" Vredestein tyres with fast rolling minimal tread for dirt cheap at the moment, I use one on the back and they seem really good quality.

Any pictures of it, I love the old V frame cannondales

Firstly, I think it's a great bike for a C2C. I rode it years ago on a rigid Pine Mountain. Fine knobblies or semi-slicks should be fine - the roughest bit is the Old Coach Road.

For comfortable all-day riding a change of hand positions is massively worthwhile - bar ends are simplest. I rode 820 miles in 2 weeks camping touring on a 1990 Marin Palisades down the Pacific Coast of the USA - the only mod from standard was bar-ends.

I have done several drop bar conversions to MTBs - earlier bikes are generally easier, after the mid-90s they get longer in the top tube or are designed for very short stems. Remember that a shorter, higher stem length is necessary as your hands need to be in a similar place in space on the hoods of the brake levers as for flat bars.

Picture here of my tourer - I converted it 22 years ago from the Marin Palisades and have since ridden it on four continents!
27838532024_793c44e484_c.jpg

and here is my son's converted 1990 Kona Lava Dome:
26019357920_4d900d60b6_c.jpg

If you fundamentally like the bike and it fits you, it makes more sense to adapt it for the particular trip than replace it. As others have suggested add bar ends and more suitable tyres. If you find it a little small, perhaps try a different i.e. longer or higher stem as required. Your saddle may also need moving backwards or even a layback seatpost.

Latest posts

Back