Little 14" Kona project for my daughter

Kevhl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I've been looking for a little frame to suit this build for a while, my daughter has outgrown her specialized hotrock and I really didn't want to buy an off the shelf bike again. I needed something with a fair amount of standover and relatively short reach so a 14" Kona frame was always in the cards.

I have to admit that I did want something a little more high end but having looked for a while I couldn't resist buying this little Hahanna to have a go with and striped it down to clean up:

I've been putting bits aside for a while now so have a choice of components (most are parts bin spares rather than high end though), the frame came with some Judy XCs so after I'd cleaned them up and put an old Chris King hs in the frame I thought I'd have a look:

Really cool but the manitou 4s i have are around 40mm shorter a-c so better suited for this project even if they are a little older than the frame:

Wheels again I have a few sets, I originally wanted to put on my hope on deep v esque rims but the older 217 wheelset is a little more simple and better suited.

This will probably end up with XT gears and v brakes.
The big thing is crank choice, I've been looking into shortening cranks and intend to put my pillar drill to good use, having bought a new crank thread tap set I've set aside a few old sets of cranks to have a play with.
I think I'll put a regular set on in the meantime just so we can see how it rides.

Should be more to come soon.

Signing up for updates. How tall is your daughter? I looked at this frame as well, seems like you are going to do an ace job and should provide great inspiration. J

Love this. I keep half-looking for a tiny Kona for my wife, she stood over the 17" Lava Dome I recently bought but declared it too big!

20160716_132802_zpsf2m2ihu8.jpg

Re:

Nice lava dome!

My daughters only 8 and around 140cm so this is going to be a push, she's really confident on a bike but I don't want her on this if it's too big.
Popped a seat on and sized it up quickly this afternoon, excuse the mess:

The seats shoved forward on he stock post but is at this height, should be good:

Yep, but I've also got a couple of straight rather than layback posts which will put the clamp just where it should be.

We'll see how she gets on once cranks are on it, the seat can go down another inch or so but it looked a little too low then!

Back