The story of GarF

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
For once, I'm not going to start a long, drawn out thread about this bike. Just a short story.

I bought this bike from eBay, at the beginning of 2013. Having previously sold my Kona to fund a - gulp - road bike, :oops: I found that I was missing riding off-road.

So, 12 years on, I ended up with this Gary Fisher Mamba, from 1997.

GarF as I called it, was rebuilt, why didn't I take some before photos? :roll: :facepalm:

Oh yes, I remember now. I hadn't discovered RetroBIKE! :cool:

Shortly after finishing it, I discovered the forum. Since which time, I have bought several more bikes, wheels, frames, etc.

Anyway, when I finished it/him? This is what it looked like.

Rummaging through my box of bits, I discovered a set of halogen Cateye lights ( it was dark), so I put them on the bike, and took it on it's maiden voyage around the block. It had been snowing, and I remember seeing someone drive straight across a roundabout! :shock: Avoided that stopped car, going up the kerb. Thought I was the bees bolx, I did! :LOL: :LOL:
Then I took to the trails at the weekend, re-discovering my old bridleways that I'd ridden on for so many hours of fun. It was snowing then too! Didn't care, I was enjoying myself.

Then I started riding with the local bike shop once a month. That's when the annoying and often to be repeated question came. 'That's nice, is it titanium?' Which after a while kind of got to me.
I had to hold back from replying 'no, you've just got sh-t legs!'

So I decided to do something to stop the questions. Having seen someone on here do the same, I though a ratbike was the way to go, so I had it blasted to bare metal.
After some 'encouragement' with a few saline washes, it started to brown up nicely,

Decals courtesy of Gil.

After a while, it came along pretty ratty, and I started embellishing it with other ratty parts, like this Rolls for instance, which held water nicely !

It became my wet weather commuter, only seeing the light of day when it was grim outside! Then, having built and ridden a few bikes, I realized how nice this one was, pretty light, and importantly these days, a good riding position, not too low. Having felt guilty about stripping it , I took it to a local-ish powder coater to see if they would/could save it. The rust was only surface rust, not gone deep into the tubes, so they agreed to do it! :cool:
I'd already had an idea of the colourscheme I wanted, having looked through the '97 brochure in the archives section on here.
So a looooooong time later it came back, after which I took it to a friend to have another colour added, having fcuked up trying to do it myself!

Then having got it back again :roll: I had to decide which groupset to go for. Had a couple of options, but decided on the first one once I'd got the headset in. It was meant to be. And with another set of decals from Gil :facepalm: and lacquered in tonight, the bike was complete.

Really pleased with how GarF turned out, and saved from gradual death !

Cooooool ! ! :cool: :cool:

Mike

Attachments

• garf at home.jpg
    garf at home.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,115
  • RatFisH2.jpg
    RatFisH2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,114
  • ratfish4.jpg
    ratfish4.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,115
  • GarFish Easter present !.jpg
    GarFish Easter present !.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 1,115
Re:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I quite like the rat look I have to say. Been tempted to try it myself but not had the bottle. :LOL:
Interested to see how it looks now, once you shaken those old bones out of bed! :twisted:

Mike Muz 67":1uz6zcyi said:
Then, having built and ridden a few bikes, I realized how nice this one was, pretty light, and importantly these days, a good riding position, not too low.

Have you ever thought of trying a larger frame size?

firedfromthecircus":2qpjc9wk said:
I quite like the rat look I have to say. Been tempted to try it myself but not had the bottle. :LOL:
Interested to see how it looks now, once you shaken those old bones out of bed! :twisted:

Mike Muz 67":2qpjc9wk said:
Then, having built and ridden a few bikes, I realized how nice this one was, pretty light, and importantly these days, a good riding position, not too low.

Have you ever thought of trying a larger frame size?

Hi B,

At work now, so can't add the photos. Can't even do smilies on this computer!

I have a larger one, the DynaTech, along with a 21" framed bike that will arrrive soon !

Yippee

That looks grand! Maybe lose the red tyres to make the red highlights stand out even more?

Back