offroad Proflex 862 rear suspension

911lnv87

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

I am very new to this, but I just got for free this bike and I am trying to get it back on the road for my son, the only left issue I have with it, is with the rear suspension.

I have disassemble the rear part and I feel it my suspension is frozen it is because my rear spring (red) is to hard, do you know where I can get a new one?

Also, I am told that I shall replace some dampers inside if anyone could help me out I am sure my son would be happy to have a fully working bike.

I am attaching 2 pictures of the rear suspension

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • image2 (1).JPG
    image2 (1).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,091
That looks rather weird to say the least. The stock 862 comes with an elastomer, not a spring so that's a non standard part on there. I struggling to see what that spring is sitting up against, other than the join between the seat tube and the top tube, which looks decidedly dodgy to me.

You should be able to track down some replacement elastomers here https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esh ... l?page=all which should fit the shock properly.

Hi Dirt,

Thanks for your feedback, yes the spring set up against the bike frame and up against the rear fork at the bottom. as per the link do you know which of the elastomer I shall get as they have a lot of different one? Sorry to look so novice but thanks for helping around.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure which elastomer you need. Looking at the suspensionforparts.net website, they seem to be fairly accommodating about different lengths and whatnot so maybe give them a call?

IIRC with Proflexes, the last digit of the number of the bike relates to the year it was made, so a 862 would be 1992? Maybe something like a 752 would be about right? https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esh ... t-752.html

Elastomers can be cut to any length you like so I think the main thing is to give them the correct measurement for the shock length (see the instructions on the page I linked to) and they should be able to sort you out.

Thank you Adam, for your advice I really appreciate. If you can try to better explaim me about the measurement? Whenm I took it appart I had the following part:
- 1 bige screw that went from the inside botton of the arch to screw the fork to the bike frame
- 1 tube that was going on top of the screw Which I guess was the part that make the suspension stop or move?

Let me know what you think, do not hesitate to PM is you like

Thanks

Honestly, I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of Proflexes by now so I have no idea what the various bits you have do, I'm afraid.

If it helps at all, here's a pic of a 962 in (allegedly) more or less mint condition. This should be more or less the same as your one. The elastomer is the yellow bit at the top of the seat stays.

file.php

My guess (and it is a guess BTW) is that the elastomer fits around the narrow metal rod running up the middle of the shock (see the pointy green line in the picture).

21mdyer.jpg

If you hold the bike up so that the suspension is fully extended and measure the length of that bit, that should give you the length of the elastomer you need.

If you look at the picture, you can see that there is a plastic washer at the top and bottom of the elastomer to hold it all in place. I'm a bit suspicious that your bike seems to be missing those but maybe the elastomer people can sort you out with what you need.

Hi. Here's some piccys of the way mines running 911 with the Landrover shock bump stops (roughly 80p each) >>>

Photos 4 and 5 show the 3 old elastomers with one of the fresh ones. I still think your spring will do the job and not be any worse than what I'm running. This was only an early shock absorbing type setup and not a modern day full on bouncy bouncy one. You will have to make it safe though by maybe getting some big washers / spacers made up so the shock isn't staraight against the frame.

Attachments

• six.jpg
    six.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,010
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg