Caught one of my white whales - NOS 1993 Manitou FS

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I have been chasing this bike since I saw it. It's been at an Ontario bike shop forever. I tried to buy it numerous times, as have others, and I almost had it once. One of those situations were one owner was easier to deal with than the other and the other happened to be dad.

Anyway, years passed, a friend of the owner was finally able to pry it from the store, and he decided to sell. Great price to boot!

Oh - and its NOS :cool:

One of my two local white whales caught - gotta get back to work on the other :)

Re:

Ah daylight ...

It's a NOS 1993 Manitou FS - all parts are NOS on it (less the shifters). I few nicks from storage I could buff out but it's about as good as it gets. It's complete, but needs a shim for the seatpost.

Aesthetically - eh. I'll be making some changes (cranks, bar ends, seat, tires, and boosters for sure). Have to think on it. There's been a few really nice FS builds on here. Gio did the black grafton thing, the blue has been done, maybe silver m900 with a pinch of blue. Who knows.

Re: Re:

jimi911":1a1v1d6o said:
Ah daylight ...

Aesthetically - eh. I'll be making some changes (cranks, bar ends, seat, tires, and boosters for sure). Have to think on it. There's been a few really nice FS builds on here. Gio did the black grafton thing, the blue has been done, maybe silver m900 with a pinch of blue. Who knows.

and I did a cracking one (literally) .... when your done you can look but don't be tempted to touch let alone ride the dare thing :LOL:

BTW what a great score ! looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Retro Spud":1ehfr6nj said:
jimi911":1ehfr6nj said:
Ah daylight ...

and I did a cracking one (literally) .... when your done you can look but don't be tempted to touch let alone ride the dare thing :LOL:

BTW what a great score ! looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Hahaha - if there's an acceptable garage queen it's this. She can here about dirt from my other bikes ;)

Re:

Prettiest full susser ever made :cool: also a dream bike of mine since I first saw a spoiled 16yr old rich kid turn up on one at a High Beach Epping group ride bitd.

M-Power":3hiepjse said:
Prettiest full susser ever made :cool: also a dream bike of mine since I first saw a spoiled 16yr old rich kid turn up on one at a High Beach Epping group ride bitd.

They look so awesome. Dispite their flaws they are so sought after. Glad I managed to snag it.

What to people think of the wheels?

The wheels are awesome! Fit the bike quite well in my opinion, kind of like polished aluminum HED rims. (I'm afraid they might be on the heavy side though). I'm doing something similar to my FS (Campagnolo K2 rims, look similar, on Ultimate Machine hubs). The cranks have to go, M900 will be perfect for this. I think you're right about dialing back the turquoise amount on the build (I'm only doing small parts and bolts no major components).

Re:

what a score!

They are lovely bikes, people always want to stop and ask about mine - proper retro cool

personally, I'd leave as is... looks great

RBG

Re:

Thanks guys!

I didn't like the wheels in the ad, but up close in a better pic - they are pretty cool.

I want to get those boosters and bar ends off for sure. They are modern.

I'd like to get a turqoise headset to break up that all silver cluster.

Cranks? Something silver and shiny I think.

Wow, stunning. Glad you hooked your white whale.

Agree with Synchrosfan that they cranks have to go. They look like 1997 model year LX to me (whatever the LX equivalent of M739 is).

Some nice polished White Industry or maybe the original John Tomac Tioga Revolver cranks?

Latest posts

Back