Budget build that's not quite so 'budget' - Jamis content!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Well, a while back I found myself with all sorts of nice kit that didn't owe me a lot so decided to find an alloy frame to hang it all off, to compliment the steel Breezer I already had. Easy, right? And at the same time maybe make that a cheap full sus frame as that was on my wanted list, kill two birds with one stone. Again, easy with a bit of patience, surely.

So...up goes this thread...viewtopic.php?f=1&t=351230 to help with the decision making, and with the provisos that the frame needed to be able to take the seat post, BB, etc that I already had. As a result of that I ended up with this Jamis Dakar :mrgreen:

That's when things started to go off budget slightly :oops: The Bombers were really lovely, but far too much travel, and even if I'd wanted to risk it, it turned out they had the wrong V brake bosses fitted, and needed an adapter kit - £27.95 at Chain Reaction. Doh! So they were sold on, at a slight loss....

Next issue was the BB, a square taper and obviously a decent Shimano one just by looking at the cups. But I had a rather nice Race Face ISIS and associated BB to go on him, single ring, therefore I had a short cage rear mech, no front mech, and only one RH shifter (you'll see where this is going in a minute) So I'll just take it out and swap it over, not a problem.

Except the BB is seized solid. All the usual methods I employ, which even for a girl can be quite brutal, didn't move it at all. Sprayed a load of WD40 down the seat tube, which promptly pretty much all came out of the hole in the BB shell, and walked off in a huff with a bit of a snot on, frankly. Having calmed down, I measured it, and it was suitable for the Sugino triple chainset I had in the spares box after Widowmaker very kindly karma'd me it a good while ago. As the BB was lovely and smooth, that's what I decided I would do, so I put the Race Face cranks and BB up for sale...

Fast forward to today, several weeks after the WD40 was applied, and a day off, I decided to have another go at the stuck BB - and the bar steward thing came out pretty easily :facepalm:

So this is where I'm now at, can still go with Plan B and fit the Sugino, but no long cage rear mech, etc, means taking it further off budget as even though I have some swaps I can do, it means patience, so I may end up purchasing stuff to just get him done. And then there's the really rather lovely RST XMO's that turned up yesterday, whilst cheap, further off budget...

Anyway, sorry for prattling on, here's where I'm at, pics are crap as my camera really doesn't like the low light. Stand over is a bit high for my little legs, but the saddle is pretty much where it will need to be, so doesn't look too daft, and stood against the Breezer, you can see that this has a higher bottom bracket.

So I give you....1995 Jamis Dakar....

Attachments

• Jamis 006.JPG
    Jamis 006.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,801
  • Jamis 007.JPG
    Jamis 007.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,801
  • Jamis 005.JPG
    Jamis 005.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,801
  • Jamis 001.JPG
    Jamis 001.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 1,801
  • Jamis 003.JPG
    Jamis 003.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,801
Re:

Thanks! :mrgreen:

The forks are amazing, so incredibly smooth and light. Have been fiddling with air pressures, but really need to be riding it before I make any firm decisions, seem to need less air than they recommend, but suppose it's only ever a 'ball park' figure... Englund cartridges in them, and Made in the USA stamped on the back. So cool.

Re:

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Get some if you ever get the chance Lynne, these are far nicer than SIDs, or the Judys or whatever it was that had the Englund air cartridges in.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that they're blue, my favourite colour.... :cool:

Re:

A bit more progress over this weekend, just need to find a front mech and shifter now. I do have a LH thumbie but not keen on using it if I can find a rapidfire with a bit of patience.

Special thanks to MatBH5 who swapped me the XT rear mech for a tool I had, and Widowmaker, who karma'd me the Sugino chainset a while ago, both perfect, and apparently that chainset was OE on these!

Not liking that stem though, could do with something slightly shorter and less heavy, with more of a rise, so will look out for maybe an Azonic Orc or similar. Definitely back to 'budget build' status now though, a bit heavier than I would like overall but not wanting to spend money means I'll have to live with that for now....

Attachments

• Jamis part finished 009.JPG
    Jamis part finished 009.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Jamis part finished 012.JPG
    Jamis part finished 012.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Jamis part finished 011.JPG
    Jamis part finished 011.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Jamis part finished 013.JPG
    Jamis part finished 013.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Jamis part finished 003.JPG
    Jamis part finished 003.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Jamis part finished 007.JPG
    Jamis part finished 007.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Jamis part finished 004.JPG
    Jamis part finished 004.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Jamis part finished 001.JPG
    Jamis part finished 001.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,641
That looks great! :cool: I've had an Azonic ORC on ebay for a couple of weeks with no interest so have just relisted it as part of a clearout job lot. Let me know if it's any use Kaz.

Nice build, I love these frames.
I had a Team once, bare alloy with red decals.
Very nicely built and light, still a pitty I had to let it go.
Another stem and flatbar would finish it perfect.

Back