Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
I think you know when you've hit retrobike maturity when you become completely obsessed by unicorns; those bikes you never thought you'd see let alone own and ride. The 97 Caldera was one of those and I'm still in awe I'm fortunate to own a piece of Kona history very few folks will have the pleasure of enjoying.

Within this unicorn category and in part completely down to retrobike and wider community of fanatics that we are, there are bikes that we never even knew about that suddenly resonate with us. There's a story you might pick up and delve into or an archive picture from MBUK that you'd forgotten about. Before you know it, you're off and away scouring the world for one that you can get your hands on.

Then there's just a case of the planets aligning, and you have to clap the universe for being in the right place in the right time.

It's with that firmly in mind that I'm over the moon to share this, a genuine ex-team Kona Explosif 1997. And yes, like the 97 Caldera there's a heap of history behind this, the whole reason they exist and who's this could be. Once more we've got conflicting views and stories from those who were there at the time and those that have heard about them since. There's new leads to follow-up which I hope will provide more insight into this wicked, wicked frame.

There's also the small matter of building it up. This is going to be a slow burn because I know it's going to hurt the wallet. And brain hurts with the combination of trying to keep it period, trying to respect the pedigree it has (my skills are pitiful to what this is capable of) and trying to spec it as a rider: as all my bikes are. We don't have wall hangers in my garage.

So for now, here she is after a thoroughly good degrease and clean. Big thanks to Brian (H1v9a8c:cool: for making me super-happy and selling it and to Pip for his support, advise and knowledge. Let the epic thread begin!

EhsdqX.jpg

qDwzhC.jpg

B1nqlR.jpg

GVzd7b.jpg

8lALiQ.jpg

3lEAwl.jpg

sS0x5p.jpg

Cj7HD3.jpg

Q4LE8z.jpg

Shird4.jpg

zG0xHt.jpg

It would be remiss of me not to post the ultimate unicorn and inspiration ;-) The unatainnable, Roland Green Hei Hei Hot:

jsRoLn.jpg

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition - hens teeth

This is great catch!! I am so glad to hear it is going to be ridden. You have put yourself in a tough spot when you're trying to make it period correct, deserving and a raider. Hope you have good connections at your local bank ;)

Are you gonna make it rigid or sus? Drivetrain? I presume you are still in awe of just receiving this beautiful piece of mtb history, but do you have any initial plan on how to begin this build?

looking at the paint finish it seems to have a "gloss" finish..my Rasta Hot is a mat finish.

Ernie ;)

Re:

Dare":372syngv said:
Are you gonna make it rigid or sus? Drivetrain? I presume you are still in awe of just receiving this beautiful piece of mtb history, but do you have any initial plan on how to begin this build?

You're not wrong - it's a real mind bender!

I'll scan the proper 98 catalogue I have so everyone can see what the team were using because obstacle #1 is trying to find a green pair of Z2's! They were custom painted...

Obstacle #2 is the XTR drive-train. I can't stand the octolink crap so that's out of the picture.

:LOL: :facepalm:

Ernie":1uatkyt5 said:
looking at the paint finish it seems to have a "gloss" finish..my Rasta Hot is a mat finish.

Ernie ;)

Check out the undercoat on this: a layer of white.

Which means... ;)

I love the paint scheme ..
We need some sort of massive Kona meet..

al-onestare":1egae6oe said:
Ernie":1egae6oe said:

Ernie ;)

Check out the undercoat on this: a layer of white.

Which means... ;)

WHAT?? What does it mean???

Tell us!

Loverly :)

Rampage":z3qhkj68 said:
Parking looks like a nightmare!

:LOL: It's why I don't have a car :LOL:

My_Teenage_Self":z3qhkj68 said:
WHAT?? What does it mean???

Tell us!

Loverly :)

Well, and I'm sure someone will correct me, but that's a tell-tell sign of power coating. The flames are painted and were masked off.

Back