1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega build - my unicorn!

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
I've read about people finding their unicorn in the past year (almost) since I've been on Retrobike and it never crossed my mind that I would actually get the opportunity to one day own mine: perhaps the most coveted, most desirable, most sought-after Alpinestars elevated chainstays model of them all, the Ti-Mega.

That was until last weekend when one popped up on the US-centric Facebook 'CLASSIC MTB trading center' group.

According to Nick Martin from The Pro's Closet in his own stunning Ti-Mega build thread:
theproscloset":3nr6hn1y said:
...there are only about 60 in the world
I hadn't appreciated quite how rare they were until I read that tidbit, and given the huge expense of these frames when new, I really thought it was impossible that I could ever get one. It just wasn't on my radar as being something to ever target the purchase of or hunt down, or make an offer to prize one from the hands of someone like Sinnetti177 with another stunning Ti-Mega or mr_ship who has yet another stunning Ti-Mega - I mean, who's going to sell one and at what cost?

Well here was one, in great condition, in my size and possibly affordable. So contact was made with the seller whom I recognised as being a member on here, so a degree of familiarity was perhaps evident from us both, and a deal was agreed for me to take the frame only from a frame, fork and front-mech package being advertised.

It even comes with new decals from the main man Gil_m...

Re:

OMG .. You'll must have the most extensive collection of Alpinestars of anyone on here. :shock:

That's one hell of One brand loyalty you've got going on there :cool:

So when does it arrive

Re: Another one coming. Unicorn level Alpinestars...

Retro Spud":2pbe86na said:
OMG .. You'll must have the most extensive collection of Alpinestars of anyone on here. :shock:

That's one hell of One brand loyalty you've got going on there :cool:

So when does it arrive
I think there are a couple other people with as many if not more than I have Spud mate, and Astars really the only ones I'd want to 'collect'. The Ti-Mega is the one all Alpinestars lovers covet, none more so than me. Never thought it'd be possible, and I was only saying to Gruff a fortnight ago at Mayhem that a TM is the only bike I'd really want behind what I've got, and the timing sucks TBH. I was going to buy a new (2013) Breezer Lightning 29er but I've binned that idea because if this, and I've pulled the trigger so the seller should be packing it up over the weekend

It's gonna be a slow burn, as I'm already in a spin over what to do with it. Since I've had the AM XTR I've been saying that I'm keeping it unridden unless/until a TM comes along so that will be the donor for the groupset. I might swap the silver rims for black, and I have options in the garage on forks: either Alpinestars aluminium 'blades' (will need repainting) or NOS Manitou2 that were destined to go in the DX. Definitely need a new headset, which I'm toying with either silver M900, silver Campag Stheno or even a black Tange, but everything else is pretty much sorted. I've also just done a deal on über-rare NOS Alpinestars Carbon handlebars which I never knew existed beyond a picture in the catalogue that are perfect for a Ti-Mega! :shock:

I'm also wondering whether to sticker it up as a '91 or get Gil to run off some '92 spec decals. :? Or do I go weight weeny? Or do I try replicating the Mike Kloser 1992 race bike - a 1991 stickered M900-spec on RS Mag 20s?

MY HEAD IS SPINNING ! :LOL: :facepalm: :LOL:

Nice one Regan. Glad you got your unicorn. I did a deal with the guy on the carbon bars a few weeks back but then he went quiet

mattb":5169ibh6 said:
Nice one Regan. Glad you got your unicorn. I did a deal with the guy on the carbon bars a few weeks back but then he went quiet
Hi Matt
Thanks mate, still hard to believe it's on the way to me!
Now that's got me feeling all kinds of awkward and uncomfortable. I have the derailleur he wanted and we've agreed to do a deal, swap-for-swap, but I have to change the jockey wheels on it first (which I've been procrastinating over all week). So it's not a 'done' deal by any means, but obviously the carbon bars are perfect for this and I've learnt this evening that they were actually part of the Ti/Ti frameset package in 1991, therefore literally perfect and build-correct. Obviously I really want them but I can use other bars. I'm supposed to have it all sorted for him before this weekend so I'll mention it to him.
I don't want to gazump you on it though, I would feel shitty - if you feel you've done a deal, then pursue it and see what he says but unless you have a 1989 grey-faceplate M735 SS rear mech in mint condition for him, I fear you're going to miss out because that's what he's been hunting for to complete a build and I have one :|

No mate,it's perfect for your build so you get the deal done.I agreed a straight swap with him for an NOS xt hub.

mattb":rgerme9b said:
No mate,it's perfect for your build so you get the deal done.I agreed a straight swap with him for an NOS xt hub.
Thanks, but I still feel awkward and now slightly uncertain. I wonder is he having us both on? :oops: If I send him the mech I'll make sure it's insured etc.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Didn't the team run Campy on their bikes for a while?

Back