1987 Doug Bradbury Elevated Chainstay

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I was sure I had a thread for this bike, but maybe not. So here it is finally all done.

This Manitou is one of those 'so strange it's cool' sort of bikes. While Doug was not known for making elegant and sophisticated bikes, this one really takes the proverbial cake. However what it lacks in style and finish it makes up for in character and uniqueness (this is the only elevated chainstay bike that Doug ever built).

When I originally acquired this bike I assumed it was an 89/90 build, possibly 88. This was mainly because Doug said that he built the bike for a guy who wanted really short chainstays and so he copied Richard Cunningham's elevated chainstay Mantis Valkyrie. When I got the bike the build was largely a mix of Shimano XT, Dura Ace wheels and a few miscellaneous parts. Basically a late 80s mountain bike. So when I set out to rebuild it I naturally tried to stay within that era but push the wow factor a bit. While I'm satisfied with the build I have since figured out that the bike was built in 1987, was one of first 10 bikes Doug built (listed 3rd on the build log), and was designed to be a trials bike (hence the short wheelbase). So, I think I went a bit overboard with the build... We'll see how it rides and decide if it stays like this or gets a bit dumbed down.

Here is how I got the bike a couple year ago:

Estay-DBM.jpg

ManitouFrame.jpg

Here is an original photo of it when it was built:

1987%20EC%20Build.jpg

Here is what it looks like today after a complete resto:

DSC_3706.jpg

DSC_3691.jpg

DSC_3692.jpg

DSC_3693.jpg

DSC_3694.jpg

DSC_3695.jpg

DSC_3696.jpg

DSC_3697.jpg

DSC_3698.jpg

DSC_3699.jpg

DSC_3701.jpg

DSC_3702.jpg

DSC_3704.jpg

DSC_3705.jpg

DSC_3708.jpg

DSC_3709.jpg

It is cool.

Tight on the stays with those tires mind...Phew.

mkozaczek":3cfypkn7 said:
I was sure I had a thread for this bike, but maybe not. So here it is finally

:shock: That has to be one of the best opening lines of any build thread

I could understand if it was a Cindercone, but how do you forget a bike like this. :LOL:

Back