Ritchey Skyliner Tandem - Fillet Brazed Goodness!

frantik

Retro Guru
I was lucky enough to purchase this yesterday from the original owner, former Ritchey team member Jim Sullivan. I have owned two other tandems including a nice Burley and this one blows it away in both ride quality and of course craftsmanship. It doesn't hurt that it's my favorite color too.

Originally I thought this was an 1988 due to the ad listing saying it was, but after looking at Ritchey catalogs I think it's closer to 1987 or 86. Deore XT 6 speed shifters/derailleurs with Magura "Shorty" brake levers and Pedersen "self energizing" canti and ubrakes. Sugino AT cranks.

Various plans are already forming such as changing out the front stem and bars and swapping out/matching all the mismatched parts like the saddles, timing rings, wheels and tires with proper time-period correct bits.

VzRFbA7.jpg

SEfDh4r.jpg

VBaUyk5.jpg

L7rOZ8P.jpg

Re:

Hmmm ... they could use that bike in a Wriggly's Spearmint gum commercial (double your pleasure - double your fun) ...

cool bike.

Re: Re:

24pouces":38zwzfwi said:
What a beauty! :cool:
Will you change the saddles ? :D

Yes.. i am kicking myself for not buying a few reproduction Turbo saddles when i saw them on sale recently, two matching turbos would look really nice. The mismatched saddles is something that is bugging me. I've already sorted the stem and bars and have a wheelset i will swap on once I get some rim tape from the LBS, but i need two matching era correct saddles

Re: Late 80s Ritchey Skyliner Tandem - Fillet Brazed Goodness!

Made a few changes to the tandem.. wider bars, replaced the mismatched wheelset and tires, slapped some new (reproduction) saddles on there too! Man this thing is a beast! With the slick tires I was hauling ass. It handles so well too.. it feels just like a single bike, just a little longer.

Eventually I will tear the whole thing down and do a deep clean, run new cables, etc, but it's looking good. BTW if anybody has a 26.8x250mm+ SR Laprade seat post please send me a pm ;)

ILOFiZs.jpg

pvadFht.jpg

Back