New Member, New (Old) Bike

GL72

Retro Newbie
A'right.

I bought a 1992 GT Outpost off eBay for £16 last week. It was described as well used (it is) and had no pedals (it hadn't).

My pal is a mechanic & a keen downhill mountain bikist. He's donated an equally well used set of flat pedals and given it the once over for me.

I bought it to use for my short commute to work and I'm going to try to spend as little money on it as possible. However the mismatched shifters and rusty handlebars are already staring to annoy me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,007
Re:

Welcome to Retro Bike

Looks to be in better condition than you describe, do you have a pic or two of the bars and shifters?

I bought a 1991 GT almost 7 years ago, which led me to this site.

I now have a garage and a spare bedroom full of bikes.

That Outpost looks in very good condition for its age.

Welcome! And good luck :D

You show first signs of compliance. Annoyance at mismatched parts can lead to repeated trawls of auction websites and proportionally reduced disposable income in concert with reduced space in sheds and outbuildings.

You have been warned.

It may be too late.

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":3a4p1bv7 said:
Welcome to Retro Bike

Looks to be in better condition than you describe, do you have a pic or two of the bars and shifters?

I have one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 902
The History Man":2d2zgdhh said:
You show first signs of compliance. Annoyance at mismatched parts can lead to repeated trawls of auction websites and proportionally reduced disposable income in concert with reduced space in sheds and outbuildings.

You have been warned.

It may be too late.

Ha ha, it is, yep :LOL: I too have an old GT with annoying mismatched shifters/brakes but sadly mine, just like yours, has the right hand ones replaced or maybe we could've traded ;) . I guess folks crash more on the right-hand side.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Lovely bike, with a bit of cleaning and polishing it's going to be a stunner.

Are you looking for correct replacement shifter/brake units or just a matching pair?

As for the bars, you could refurb these and try to mask off the logos to protect them whilst you do so.

Back