1996 Santa Cruz Heckler

wooly pluto

Retro Guru
Hi all retrobike fans,

Few months ago I have sold my beloved GT STS and soon after that realised that I have no full susser at all. So this is the budget, temporary build and something new to me, as I've never had a Santa before.

Frame is 1996 (as I believe) Heckler. As it is the early bike of SC soon after they started with MTBs I thought it would be cool to follow their skateboard graphics rather than boring designs of bike division. The rest of stuff is from around 1995 - 1997 except the Thomson stem, Salsa bar and crap LX front mech.

Here's the spec:
Frame: 1996 Santa Cruz Heckler
Fork: 1996 Marzocchi Bomber Z1,
Frame damper: RS Deluxe 200mm,
Seatpost: Syncros titanium,
Stem: Thomson Elite 70mm,
Headset: Chris King,
BB: Deore XT,
Rear mech: Tiso Venda 601,
Rear wheel: this one with Hugi and Mavic 221 is temporary stuff, correct one will have CK hub (red) and black Syncros rim - I just have to build it.
front hub: Edco Swiss,
Cranks: RaceFace I-Beam,
Brakes: Front Magura John Tomac rear Paul Motolite with Kooka lever.

I had sort of first flighs yesterday, and it rides sweet. I hope you like it. It's a bit weird :)

Cheers,
Martin / wooly pluto

Attachments

• IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,230
  • IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,227
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,236
I'm not sure about weird but it certainly doesn't look budget to me!
Nice build. I just got a Heckler recently myself and I am very happy with how it rides. Great bikes and no surprise the design lives on hardly changed in the Superlight. :cool:

Re:

If you want to check the year, there is a serial number on the frame (i think under the bb) with the date of manufacture in it. Strangely the date on the swing arm is usually a different year than the main frame, they must of mix matched these frames when they was new

Oh, and us brits would say you have the brake levers on the wrong sides :p

Sean

Re:

Yup, there is and it is different from the number of the arm - that's right :) Changing the position of brakes would affect pretty impressive crash I guess - I'm and old man I would not be able to learn that quick... :)

Latest posts

Back