Steve_T's 1997 Rocky Mountain Equipe

Steve_T

Old School Hero
So, I'm back at it, previously registered on here as 'Tousi', I had all but lost interest after completing my Brodie Catalyst (still no build thread, let alone decent pictures).

I sold off a lot of my spares, and soon to be projects, which included selling off a few bikes, including a 93 Kona Hot, 94 Explosif, 94 Kilaueau and a 92 Blizzard, 91 Hammer and 90 Cirrus.

So that left me with just the Brodie, but as I'm sure tons of you also experience, hard to ride it hard after dropping so much coin on it, I got the itch to find something else.

I've had my eye on the local classifieds, and one day, low and behold, found an ad, with two pictures of a frame, only being described as a Rocky Mountain steel frame, but the seller was very helpful, and gave me the serial number, of which I enquired about here, to find out it is a 97 Equipe, which shared the same frame with the Blizzard that year.

We arranged a time for me to go over, and upon arrival, frame looked great, first thing I am diligent to look for are any dents, had my share of dents and want to avoid them at all cost. Talking to the seller, he was a younger guy, probably early twenties, he ws selling the bike to raise funds for a dirt jumper build.
Turns out, he had practically the complete bike, but was keeping some parts for his dj build, including the RF Turbines, and 26.8 seatpost.

I bought the frame anyways, and he included the red ano seat post clamp. original plan was to just build it into a fast, commuter style rider.

As it was advertised
ad_0_1460324847800.jpg

Scoured Ebay and local classifieds, and found someone local, and that I know, had a Manitou Skareb in ano red for sale. Negotiated to what I thought was a fair price, and headed over to pick it up.

Got the fork mounted with a temporary stem I had kicking around, red matches the seat post clamp nicely, and sets off the red in the decals, but still doesn't look like much yet...

20160413_220709.jpg

Tried my best to convince the seller thay using the Turbines in singlespeed, on a dirt jumper was a really bad idea, and after a few days of back and forth, he finally gave in, and offered them up for $40cdn, with rings, but he forgot the bolts and spacers. :)

20160415_182436.jpg

I messaged the seller about the chainring bolts and spacers, thankfully he still had them (although Frank was ready to be at the rescue) , and offered to deliver them.
He showed up on his bicycle, small envelope in hand, in which was the complete set of chainring bolts and spacers I required, in thanks, I gave him a Titec El Norte stem that I have no idea where I even got it.
I hadn't realized how difficult it was going to be to find a decent 26.8 seatpost, but while he was at my place, I got to asking what he had done with the seatpost, or if he even had it. Ofcourse, he had it in his dj frame, I was convince it couldn't have been the correct size, so offered up a Titec 27.2mm for him to take home with him to see if it was a better fit, and would go nicely with the stem.
A couple of days later, he shows up in a tiny yellow car, with my 26.8 seatpost in hand!!

After a little bit of scavenging at my little secret place, I came home with a Judy XC in excellent shape (which I flipped) a Matrix wheelset (7spd freewheel, which I didn't realize until I got home:( ) and a silver Ritchey stem.

I pilfered the wheelset off my brodie, didn't suit it as they were 8spd and newer than the bike, xt font hub, silent clutch rear, on Mavic 217's.

Also made a trade with Rockimtn for xt f/r derailleurs, and some xtr shifters. (Thank you! )

So this is how it sits as of yesrerday, aftr getting my last NOS chain fitted. (I think I'm in love! )
20160507_175231.jpg

See, that's where I disagree with you!
I may do a red headset, and thinking perhaps some red brake levers, but grips and saddle will remain black.
Red is actually my least favorite colour, unless its on a Ferrari of course!

Re:

Shifters, derailleurs and brakes on and cabled up (Thank you again Frank). XT front and rear, XTR shifter pods with no indicators, and Avid SD 7 brakes. All that's left really is a set of grips, and some different pedals, I find these way to small.

CRC had a sale on City Jets, so I figured I would try some out, nice tires, under $40cdn delivered.

20160624_192649.jpg

Re:

Decided the City Jet's didn't look right on this bike, almost look like white walls. Moved them over to my, new to me, 1994 Equipe, and will go back to treaded amber walls on this

Latest posts

Back