1997 Cannondale F500

japslap81

Dirt Disciple
This is my cannondaleF500, I've had it since 2009 or so, bought of a guy who had it hanging in the garage, must have been one of those "it was a good idea at the time" because with the condition of the paint etc was amazing, still has the Dodge Viper red that pops in sun light and absolutely no (yes I know it's hard to believe) no bubbling under the paint, he must have rarely used it. It came with all original parts, even the chain was a Sachs. I've spent a number of years updating it and upgrading parts, the hard core (purest) retro guys may not agree with a move like putting modern parts on a retro but I found some parts like the old coda stems to look a little old fashioned for my personal liking, I've added a few pics that I've took over the years, parts list is as follows;

Hope stem
Easton flat carbon bars (ec90)
Avid ultimate black ops brake levers
Good ridge carbon effect cables throughout with middleburn cable oilers
XTR v-brakes with x-lite bolt add-ons
XTR rear mech
XT front mech
XT 8 speed cassette
Middleburn RS7 Isis crank
Spin wheel set
Stx rc shifters

I upgraded the head shok last year with an oil damper cartridge with a lock out, which was a great upgrade just for lockout alone, turning the forks from mc60 to dd60 (still haven't fitted the new decals on that front)

Still have every intention of upgrading the seat,post and a few other things, it's a work in progress, I've probably missed a few other things that I've done as well

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 696
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 695
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 694
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 695
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 696
Re:

Has to be the nicest F500 I have seen! It looks like new(much nicer than mine,which is currently sat in my garage in bits.). The upgrades you have made look great,and I'm sure they improve the way the bike rides and feels,which is surely the point of making upgrades in the first place,so don't worry about what the purists think.Looks like you have done a great job ............keep up the good work! :D

Cheers man, it dose ride very well, although it hasn't been used much at all, probably spent more time in the workshop getting the upgrades or me studying the head shok service manuals than I have actually been on it of course it always did ride well, but the lock out and the upgraded parts do make things work well together, loving the modulation between the XTR and avid ultimate levers. I'm not even too sure if there are purists when it comes to these things and did mean to come across like it would be a dig at anyone who prefers the more retro parts, I just thought that if I could upgrade with top parts that where around in that period I would, like XTR, middle burn etc then I would, but I don't mind taking advantage sometimes of advancements in tech as long as they compliment the build and improve the bike for a better ride. Paint work is pretty much as new like you said with only a small mark where a previous owner has set it down on the ground on a drop out, I've managed to locate the Dodge Viper red paint tho so that is also something I'd plan on touching up. Next thing would be a good seat post and seat from the time, maybe an obvious choice but was thinking a Thompson for the post, not too sure which seat, may go with slightly more modern fizica simply for comfort

Back