random e-bay purchase, Ellsworth with a twist

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been riding full suspension MTB's since picking up a used ProFlex Beast frameset in I think 95. But somehow I always have owned single pivots though I have this craving for a proper Horst Link bike. So one dreary night I had a bright idea and pulled the e-bay trigger on this: an Ellsworth Dare:

Dare_.JPG

It is an older DH machine, but in 99-00? that meant 6" travel, and QR dropouts, agressive XC teritory these days. Notably the design features a high BB and steepish head angle by todays standards, and it is not really much overbuilt. These once high end frames go for peanuts on e-bay, plus I recouped a big part of it by selling the modern 170mm forks.

So here's the bright idea: fit a 190mm shock replacing the 200mm stock Stratos helix. Travel reduces to 5" and the BB drops a bit plus the head angle slackens. But then the HA returns to values very close to design when I fit a 5" fork, right? So what is a high end 5"travel Horst Link frame with a 5"travel fork or .....

Dare_v_2s05.JPG

What's the catch? Can anyone here please spot the obvious error that's so in my face I can't see it?

Thanks!

PS:
The frame has the optional "XC" chainstays fitted that will allow a front derraileur, the Dare DH will not.
The damper is upside down to clear the rocker arms.
That's a Syntace VRO, I use it on new builds to sort out the cockpit.

DH

Just weight really, 5 and 6 inch modern trail sleds are achieving sub 6 pounds all in frame weights. These frames don't go for Peanuts on Ebay UK though! where DH is far more popular than XC/Trail riding.

Looks a beaut.

What does the bottom bracket height work out at... are you going to be hitting the ground with the pedals?

cchris2lou":2c6r906m said:
looks like your front wheel axle is lower than bb and rear wheel axle. :?

check the angle of the bike in the pic. BB still looks a little higher than hubs height.
why cant you run the shock the normal way up with the blue lever pointing forward?

looks good to me :)

Thanks for the reponses guys,

- The BB height works out at a half inch above the line through the wheel axles. Should be fine.
- The adjusters forward would hit the downtube, and it cannot go right side up because the air valve or the adjusters interfere with the rocker arms.
- According feedback I've had this Dare has 7" in DH guise and 6" with the XC stays, later Dares had 8" but they had Y-shaped front frame sections.
- Frame weight with the RP3 damper should be about 8 and some pounds, good enough for me.

Bitd Ellsworth got a lot of stick for the Dare not being strong enough for the riding it invited you to do, i.e. too light in the eyes of DH/FR riders. It was always commended as a very good pedalling bike for it's long travel.

Nice. Head angle still looks a little slack to me (but I do like steep angles) I'd be tempted to throw some Pikes or Lyriks on there then you can play with the travel and head angle.

True, the head angle is slack compared to XC bikes. It is noticeably slacker than my trusty Heckler when parked side by side. But I'll try it with the Maverick first, I can flick that in climbing mode (-30mm but active) for comparison. And I can always revert to a 200mm shock and see if I get on with the high BB, probably running more sag.

There's a BikePark about a half hour drive away with some jumps, berms, wall rides and drops. Just about perfect to see if this works at all.

Back