'96 Klein Attitude Build

theboyg

Dirt Disciple
OK, so first post in this forum, so please be gentle...

I've been stalking the 'for sale' forum for ages, and finally took the plunge buying a '96 attitude frame and forks from Tobibikes a couple of months ago (see photo below). Its been sent straight to Jon Rock for painting, so I've not even seen it yet. Jon's going to paint in Moonrise (I love all the tri-fades but after speaking to him, he suggested moonrise as this was an option on the MC2 attitudes).

I've wanted an attitude since I was a teenager, so this is really an itch I've wanted to scratch for a while now.

So it's probably still a month or two until the frame is painted, but I'm starting the journey to getting the parts sorted out. My plan is to try and keep it relatively period correct, my base plan is to go XTR M950, but with other parts that I lusted after back in the day. So far I've scored :

Flite Ti saddles (from Valleyman)
Klein v-brake adaptor (from thesneaker)
Silver Hope Ti hubs on Mavic 231's
M950 Shifters/brake levers
Smoke and Dart tyres (all from Wadsy)

So I'm looking for suggestion for the rest of the parts. Part of me thinks waiting for the frame would be a good idea to check matching colours on the other parts, and part of me is impatient and wants to have it all ready for when the frame arrives.

I want Ringle holey Ti skewers (will probably go replica's from raymond_mole) but can't decide between black or 3DV
Looking at Race face cranks and rings from Staf http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=341181 (but the rings he's selling are too big for big for my liking, so need to try and source a smaller set, or at least a smaller granny ring)
Seatpost - can't decide between classic Syncros or maybe silver Moby
FD and RD chain and cassette will be XTR 950 if I can find them, unless another has a better suggestion)

I have always thought that the main "thing" about klein's was the paint..so if it were my bike i could go with a full xtr m900 or xt737 group...to keep all eyes on the fuselage..no distractions!

Minor update, a few parts have started to arrive, Ti Flite saddle, 747 SPD pedals, and Klein V brake adaptor.

A few more bits also on the way, Syncros stem and after numerous PM's with Wadsy (who sounded like he's had a bit of a nightmare on our sale), hubs, Rims, tyres and shifters are also on their way.

Few people have said M900, but I've decided on M950 (I think it looks slightly nicer), but having done a little research it appears '96 Attitudes came with XT ? Anyway too late now !

Still looking for XTR M950 rear mech and Front Mech, I believe I need a bottom pull, but don't know the diameter I need ? Then just the cranks to sort out. I like the idea of thesneaker's Grafton 3DV cranks, but budget doesn't run that rich at the moment. I'm quite keen on a set of Raceface cranks, but can't find a set in the right colour (black/chrome/3DV), ideas welcome.

Starting to get excited about the repaint, I got an email from Jonrock saying he would be priming the frame in the coming weeks, so it's starting to come together. I'm minded to wait for the frame before deciding on crank and QR colours (although the will almost certainly be Ringle Holey QR's, just the colour I'm not sure of yet)

2016-05-19%2020.02.28_zpsazy488f6.jpg

Frame with canti hangers and V-brakes? I would not do that...

But M950 is nice. Not as nice as a M900, but still nice. Except the cranks. They would be too bold looking, wouldn't they?

FD should be 31.8 iirc.

I'm curious what the paint will look like. :mrgreen:

Re:

if you go m950 I think there is a way to use m950 cranks with the threadless shell. then the mate finish theme would be consistent.

it's your bike but race face does not belong anywhere near a Klein in my opinion!

if you could figure a way to use an m950 crankset and have a full 950 build that would be pretty original and the full grey build would make the frame pop...it has been done check this out..

viewtopic.php?t=113975

Back