1990 Saracen Tufftrax: single speed

Rodrigues

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I originally bought this bike on eBay a few years ago for £50. I collected it in Portsmouth and was impressed with its condition and original parts. After riding it for a bit I quite liked it, but then found a 1990 Traverse Comp and decided I wasn't really going to ride it much more - so I offered it up on here. Fellow Saracen-head Dan (dw_uk2000) came and collected it and that was that.......until a few months ago when he kindly offered the frame as karma. Remembering it's amazing paint job, my desire to build a single speed mtb (I've never even ridden one before), and my unquenchable desire for low end 87-90 Saracens (I'm not alone....) I snapped it up.

Being single speed the build was quite quick - and I had a few spare Saracen parts lying around. A bit of a clean and t-cut and the frame came out shining. The first spin today brought a massive smile to my face :)

Hope you like it...

Frame: 1990 Saracen Tufftrax Tange MTB Triple Butted Cromoly in Pink (Magenta! haha) :cool:

Fork: Saracen Direct Drive

Headset: Shimano 400 LX
Stem: Saracen Cromoly Pipe Stem with Pulley
Handlebar: Saracen Big Bulge Alloy
Grips: Tioga Biogrip II

Brakes: Shimano Deore DX (MT62)
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Thinline
Brake Cables: Shimano M System
Cantilever cable hangers: Ultimate Machine Co
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT (M732), 2 Finger
Bar Ends: N/A

Shifters: N/A
Front Derailleur: N/A
Rear Derailleur: N/A
Derailleur Cables: N/A
Cassette: Shimano DX Single Speed Cog - 16T
Chain: Sram PC870
Cranks: Shimano Deore DX (MT62)
Crank Bolts: Unknown
Chainrings: Salsa Single Speed - 36T
Chainring bolts: Brev M
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT with Tioga Power Clip Toe Clips and Saracen Straps

Hub Skewers: Unknown
Rims: Wolber Saracen Special Double Skin Hard Black Anodised
Hubs: Shimano Exage
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Schwalbe City Jets (26 x 1.95)
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Saracen Mountain
Seatpost: Unknown
Seatpost Binder: Unknown

Weight: :facepalm:

Re:

Lovely mate :cool:

I had one as mint as that and always regret selling it!

I might have to look out for a pair of those Tioga power clips in yellow :facepalm:

Re:

looks really nice, favourite era of Saracen, looks so clean :cool:

Can help but notice that your cantilever brake pad clamps are on backwards...... I actually think it looks great, but was this intended?

RBG

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":3aw6xo1s said:
Can help but notice that your cantilever brake pad clamps are on backwards...... I actually think it looks great, but was this intended?

RBG

Haha no :)

It was late! On reflection though they do actually look good. Something about the symmetry of the bolts. Maybe it'll catch on :cool:

Back