1990 Trek 8900 Composite - Carbon, Aluminum and Neon, oh my!

frantik

Retro Guru
Recently picked up this 1990 Trek 8900 Composite as a frameset. I had previously owned an 8300 composite which I sold recently, telling myself i would replace it with a neon Trek Composite if the chance ever came up. The frame is carbon main tubes bonded to aluminum lugs and stays. The ride is very nice.. almost "bouncy" in a way.

The 8900 originally came equipped with all sorts of high end American parts like Grafton brakes, Bullseye hubs and Cook Bros cranks, with Suntour XC drivetrain. Unfortunately all of those parts have been scattered to the wind. I have recently picked up some Grafton speed controllers and will be installing them sooner or later, so there will be at least something on there from the original spec.

Build as pictured is mostly Deore XT 730 with a few extra goodies. Odyssey Paralevers, Spinergy Spox front wheel, Control Tech seat post, Ritchey stem and bars, Panaracer Smoke/Dart tires.

BuJQoMB.jpg

yrrC11g.jpg

fn2KIdB.jpg

H6mqfiO.jpg

Zi9wYsz.jpg

PprQWT5.jpg

Nice one, love the build for not being so "correct".

Those brakelevers are really nice, never had them myself to test how they brake compared to the regular Shimano stuff.

Have fun!

Cheers
Martin

Re:

Nice "pre-Klein" Trek you have there Squire

Looking forward to seeing where you take this over the coming weeks / months.

Are the wheels staying ?

Re:

Those old carbon Trek are very sexy and give a very cool ride !
I love those yellow and green colors :cool:

Re: Re:

Nice bit of neon there. Very cool. :cool:

I remember Trek being a big name bitd and there were loads of them round my way. They also seemed to be quite adventurous with technology, but I don't remember them being successful in the big races. Am I just unaware of the success? Who were their big names?

Retro Spud":13dcvy40 said:

I don't understand the significance of this comment, if any. :?
Pre-Trek Klein, yes. Pre-Klein Trek, no.

Cheers everybody :)

Martin":368k7frw said:
Those brakelevers are really nice, never had them myself to test how they brake compared to the regular Shimano stuff.

Yeah they feel a bit different since they don't move like a typical lever. Honestly they are a solution in search of a problem... they look cool but don't really do anything else differently than any other lever.

Retro Spud":368k7frw said:
Are the wheels staying ?

I've actually been on the look out for a matching rear Spox.. they aren't exactly period correct but they look so cool especially with this frame.

24pouces":368k7frw said:
Those old carbon Trek are very sexy and give a very cool ride !
I love those yellow and green colors :cool:

Yes I saw you have a few! they really do have a great ride.. I was riding my old 8300 on the way to sell it and I started having regrets before I even sold it... I even tried to talk the buyer out of buying it! But I like this 8900 much more

Re: Re:

firedfromthecircus":199gblp9 said:
Retro Spud":199gblp9 said:

I don't understand the significance of this comment, if any. :?
Pre-Trek Klein, yes. Pre-Klein Trek, no.

Surely a nice tongue in cheek play on the usual Pre-trek Kline comments that so lazily get thrown around. But there is a load of truth in it, after Trek bought out Clien they stopped putting as much effort into their own top end bikes for a while so this was a really nice Pre-klien Trek.

When new these were the stuff of bedroom posters; grafton brakes, CQP cranks, bullseye hubs, American stems, tange big one forks or RS1s, lovely!

Back