Bryan's mysterious Concord trailmaster

brains

Dirt Disciple
Behold... my latest thing that i bought.
I believe this is a 1989 Concord trailmaster. I've assumed the 1989 date from the Deore-II mt62 group and the other part is conveniently written on the frame. Being a concord doesn't seem to mean anything though, i think it's a re-branded kuwahara. The concord name shows up on modern department store bikes and older road or mountain bikes, so i don't really know who made this or what it's made out of. I've assumed it's chromoly because it makes something of a nice ring when i ping the frame, but it doesn't have any tubing stickers or badging anywhere. Sounds nicer than my hi-ten magna but not as nice as my tange mtb karakoram or prestige alien. Has a seat tube lug that looks like the lug on the Alien though. Wheels are rm-20's with a nice shiny finish. seat post is a 26.2 or 26.3.
I bough it to raid for parts so i'd have a nicer spare parts stash but it's kind of nice as it is and i don't have tools to remove the bottom bracket so i'll probably leave it alone for a while. Maybe i'll swap the

I would appreciate it if anyone knew who made this bike and what the frame is made out of. Pictures are of the crude sticker decals (ignore the oakley sticker eh), top tube cable routing, seat tube lug/welding, the rear derailleur/drop out area, and the serial number which is located on the bottom of the down tube near the bottom bracket. I assume the frame is more on the POS end of the spectrum and not the last iconic bike of the 1980's but the parts look like they're on the nice side and everything works as it should.

Attachments

• concord01.jpg
    concord01.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,492
  • concord02.jpg
    concord02.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,491
  • concord03.jpg
    concord03.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,492
  • concord05.jpg
    concord05.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,491
  • concord04.jpg
    concord04.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,490
  • concord06.jpg
    concord06.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,490
Re:

sorry to bump this thread... still interested in knowing if anyone is familiar with who may have made this frame and what it might be made out of. Not that that makes a difference as far as riding it goes... i just like to know. Maybe i've got too much time to ponder or something.
The seat tube is ovalised where it connects to the BB shell... that's neat right? waow. The tires are "cst sccr mtx comp"s.
Man... that's a lot of acronyms.

No idea about the bike, but I have a sweet, NOS Deore II rear SGS mech for sale, in case that might come in handy for you ...

Re:

no thanks mate, i already got one on muh bike eh? ;)

I saw some old 1989 orange bikes with a similar serial number nomenclature and seat stay/rear brake cable stop design were similar to my POS, and those were made by Apro... so i assume this bike is an Apro frame with a random brand name slapped on it and sold at weird bike shops. Maybe like bikes direct, 1989 style.

Re:

The not so thick plot thickens. It's still only mildly interesting.
The steerer tube has a bit of rifling or some splines at the bottom. I guess that's a characteristic of a likely tange made steerer tube... i'm gona' assume the rest of the bike is tange of some sort but i'm just guessing. The rear seat stays seem pretty weenie and the seatpost is like a 26.2 or 26.3 or something if that's of any interest.

It looks like the head sticker (no head badge... we're talkin' 100% stuck on sticker) actually has the name of the City the bike was sold in printed on it, so maybe all the concord trailmasters were in Columbus ohio and they called them something else somewhere else.
Making up stuff about this bike is like 24% of my time. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• trailmasterSteerer.jpg
    trailmasterSteerer.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,234
Re:

Here’s one for sale near me, amigo version

Attachments

• E8F63CC1-C597-4751-8574-101900D83E00.jpeg
    E8F63CC1-C597-4751-8574-101900D83E00.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 646
I work at a local shop now that sells used bikes and I've seen a lot of Concords come through... I imagine like a lot of weird branded bikes they were just sold by a local sporting goods retailer or local chain of shops with their own brand as a sort of bikes-direct but with a storefront type thing. Different levels of quality... the one I had was quite nice. I sold it a long time ago to some kid who told me the shifters didn't work when he wasn't pedaling. Hopefully he's havin' a good time on it.

Latest posts

Back