Alves 531 Fillet Brazed

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=345910&start=0

I've been looking for a large British steel frameset since my selling my Rourke 853 that didn't quit fit correctly.

I got a message from THM about the Roberts road frame that he was selling but it was the Alves that I really wanted. I used to live in the next village to where these were built but had never made the connection before.

I happen to be working in the south west next week so a deal was struck and I'm now counting down the days till I can pick it up.

I ride 99% of the time on the road apart from the occasional loop around Sherwood pines. I love the idea of an 'all-road' bike and hate the idea of driving somewhere to ride a bike so this will be built into a do it all drop bar bike that I can go anywhere on.

Starting to get a few bits together already but this won't be an especially quick project but hopefully will have everything I need in the next month or two.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,538
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 1,538
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 1,538
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,538
Sounds like a good plan. Certainly a nice base for it.
I'm with you on the idea of driving somewhere to go for a ride. It seems like madness for normal business.
Some nice parts there but I'm not sure about the stem unless you are quite a bit smaller than THM. Otherwise I would think a bit more rise might be a good idea.

Re:

I am more than a little jealous, I was seriously considering this, but I am in the process of a purge of bikes too so couldn't justify having another MTB.

I went for the Roberts instead ;)

firedfromthecircus":1u4nb8pj said:
...I'm not sure about the stem unless you are quite a bit smaller than THM. Otherwise I would think a bit more rise might be a good idea.

The stem isn't the nicest looking in the world but it's pretty rare at 90 degrees, not 73 like usual road stems or pointing to the sky like MTB stems, so once fitted it should give a nice, shallow rise.

My 'favorite' road bike has the same toptube and headtube dimensions as the Alves and I run that with a 100mm stem and compact drop bars. Hopefully a slightly shorter 90mm stem combined with a bit of rise and the non-compact Nitto bars should give me the position somewhere between road and mountain that I'm looking for.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":ap5unhb3 said:
I am more than a little jealous, I was seriously considering this, but I am in the process of a purge of bikes too so couldn't justify having another MTB.

I went for the Roberts instead ;)

I was a little gutted about the Roberts, it's probably the only frameset that I would swap on of my current ones for. If you ever have to let it go please give me a shout!

Considering using a lower fork mounted front cable hanger instead of the upper one shown. Does anyone have good/bad experiences of either?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,461
Would be a bit busy what with brake saddle and cantis. Would it allow enough pull/saddle height?

Back