Early '90s ish Look

backseateducation

Retro Newbie
Evening all.
Thought I would share my new acquisition with you. It's nearly a dozen years since I last rode any kind of MTB (illness and life took precedence for a time) but I have recently both been given this bike and been back in touch with an old friend who is still as bike-mad as he ever was (thanks Nik :D ) so looks like I will soon be back on the trails. Lots of work to do but hopefully won't be long before I'm putting up a "fat slow old MTB'er needs riding mates" kind of post :LOL:
Anyway have a look and see what you think.
Cheers
Matt
26030039361_0a9d2e9383_z.jpg

26096630065_9d0dc679ca_z.jpg

26030291221_1a543cd536_z.jpg

26070698686_b396b82184_z.jpg

25823795150_714f894a70_z.jpg

25491875424_8a816a9f2d_z.jpg

26004114152_e20073fed7_z.jpg

25823804290_291fd33b3a_z.jpg

26004116202_6547b76d97_z.jpg

All I really know is that the original owner (who gave it to me) bought it as a frame from Bikewise in Ickenham and had it built up. From the stickers it appears to be made in Canada (which surprised me, as I thought Look was a Franch company). It has only ever had two front rings, and I think I may have to change the BB axle to fit a granny ring as it looks like there is no clearance for one currently.
Any help, info or opinions gratefully received. I'll keep you updated as I get it back on the road (or off). :)

Welcome aboard matey :)

That has a decent mix of parts and should clean up nicely

Nice bike. I think, there will be enough space for the granny ring. Or else the other two would scratch the frame, too. ;)

Thanks guys. I have next week off so am aiming to be riding it!
The tyres (Panaracer Smokes) have loads of tread but are sadly useless due to being flat for ten years :(
Other things that need doing are chain and sprockets, fit a 3rd chainring, replace cables, regrease hubs, and other little things. I'm not planning on keeping it 100% retro but I'm just looking forward to getting back out there. Forest of Dean here I come :)

Well I've bought most of the new parts I need. I must admit the apathy of bike shop staff in these parts was a little disappointing - I think they would much rather I'd just spent my hard-earned on a new bike :(

Relliott6879":1smgejin said:
How's this coming, Matt? Any new pics?

Hello bud. You found me then! I hope our regular forum is back up soon I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!
The honest truth is I have done next to nothing, due to having to move out so the soon to be ex-wife can move her new man in and carry on without me :(

However I have now acquired most of the parts to complete the build, a trip to Decathlon yesterday got me most of the odd little bits and pieces as this is going to be modernised, not slavishly retro for the sake of it. I'm keeping the XT thumbies though although I have the horrible feeling the RH one may be knackered.
So I have a big pile of parts, the next two weeks off work as the doctor has signed me off and I'm planning on starting on Tuesday as I'm preparing for a big interview on Monday.
Any news on a civvy location for your MFSM?

Can't go wrong with XT thumbies mate, and if one is buggered, you shouldn't struggle too much to source a replacement.

I've knocked the MFSM on the head, reasoning that it would be easier all round to sort it at Scotfest. That said, I just arrived at my Dad's place in Derby and 'the clonk' is all but gone! It seems that things may just be settling into their correct place as the suspension moves.

Back