1995 Rocky Mountain Edge

shamobius

BoTM Winner
Had a hard time figuring out what to do with this frame when I got it in a trade. The rear shock was seized and the paint was oddly mottled. But I kind of liked it, talk about patina!

After some research, I realized this particular Edge configuration was only available for one year, and is pretty rare. That was enough motivation to send the shock back to Risse, and to do a full and proper rebuild. I actually had nearly all the parts on hand, except for the front shock and rear derailleur. Thanks to a donation from BC the front derailleur was easily sorted. The front fork took months to sort out, but finally arrived last week. The build was pretty straightforward from there, apart from some tinkering with the Magura hydraulic brakes. First time I have had to set up a pair. Once I dialed them in I begrudgingly have to admit that they are pretty awesome...

I went for a build as close to original spec as I could without going crazy.

Very nice bike. I like it. And it did come out rather nice, compared to the fist picture.

That rear end is a amp design. And I think it was only used that short because it has a little design flaw. When using the rear brake, all the force is pushing the rear dampener sideways. That caused early wear in their bushes. those dampeners were meant to take pessure from their upper or lower, but not from the side.

A very nice lokking bike, still. I'd like to have one ;)

The amp rear triangle was around for quite a while and was used on many bikes, but I hadn't heard of that issue before. Perhaps that is why Rocky Mt added the black brace above the brakes. And i suppose a brake booster would help. For what it's worth the rear triangle on my bike is tight and there is zero play in the bushings...

Love the old AMP bikes.
The biggest cause of side loading on the shock is that it is in fact a structural part of the fram...basically it is part of the 'seat stays'. So, any forces like braking or out of the saddle efforts put a lot of stress on the 'ol shock.

Test rode one of those bikes at Rider's back in the day.

Back