1989 Merlin Mountain in Australia

jimby

Retro Newbie
Hi All

I thought some of you might like to see my Merlin. for those who have 1989/90 merlins there is some confusion in regards to serial numbers, mine is 1353 which if you look on the online serial number databases should'nt exist, but it does. One day someone will find out about the missing serial numbers

I bought the frame in about 2006 in the UK and emigrated in 2007. I used to be a mechanic at Mountain High cycles in Rickmansworth between 1994 and 1995 and some of the components date back to when I was spinning spanners for a living.

Bike Spec:
Frame - Merlin Mountain - Small
Forks - No name chromed steel 1" threaded bought from a shitty bike shop for $20
Headset - last of the XT threaded with an 85 Tange Levin Lock nut so that the 21mm stem fits
Stem - 1985 Sakae MTS-101 - 21mm!
Bars - Chrome Steel from 1985 off a KHS Monatan Pro that has become a parts donor
Grips - 2015 Blank BMX from my 4 year old daughters 16" Blank Buddy
Shifters - Last of the Deore XT thumbies (we were selling these at Bike '95 for $40 a set)
Cables - Shimanoish
Brake levers - Shimano DXR BL-MX70 popular with the BMX boys
Front Brakes - Shinano Deore LX BRM580 vee brakes
Front wheel - Mavic 217 SUP, DT DB Spokes, XT Paralax hub, blue nipples! (I built this in 1995)
Rear Wheel - Maviz 117 ceramic, Deore DX FH-M650 hub, DT DB Spokes, red yellow green blue nipples (built by me in 1994)
Rear brakes - 1985 Suntour XC Power roller cam with Kool Stop pads
Seatpost - Specialized Carbon Fact 27.2 from about 2008
Saddle - Specialized Comp 143 (came off my 2007 Langster)
BB - Titanium
Front and rear mech - XT
Chainset - triple Shimano 600 biopace FC-6202 but I dont run the granny ring as the front shifter does like the Biopace and cant cope
Pedals - DRM V12

She's not the most period correct bike and her components span 31 years but I hope you appreciate that this bike is used all the time and is a workhorse. Ive been carrying by kid on it for a few years too and its been left locked up in and around the city without too much care. (note, it was de-stickered for that period of her life)

I can recommend the Merlin bikes, they are easy to work with and a joy to ride. Well worth the three hundred quid I paid for the frame.

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Back