Zinn Success.......

mfhxgram

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thought I post this up given the interest in Zinns,

I watched the two threads on this with interest as I had not seen a Zinn Success come up for sale previously. When it first popped up on ebay the price was too strong so just followed the thread, then it came up for sale a second time and happened to be 5 mins walking distance from me :facepalm: Intending to just have a look at the frame to see it in the flesh and having already convinced myself I don't need another project I popped round to view it. The jade green was still really vibrant, with its classic Zinn features and only a small amount of patina meant I obviously bought it!

original advert:

someone had obviously gone to town with non-original Reynolds stickering but apart from that and the missing stem it looked a nice bit of classic British steel.......... :D

Re:

All excessive and rogue stickering now removed! Looks like Reynolds stickers added later and I don't think they are the correct style anyway,

Frame number says this is a 1991 so likely a 92 model possibly

Re:

Bit of a clean up and all things not looking pretty reasonable

direction on the parts was that I'd wanted to put the new success groupset on it, I got hold a set from the Netherlands but realised it was a '95 and was quite what I was looking for. I have some campy parts and figured id go that route at least for now.

Re:

Good to see a few of these popping up :) they build into lovely bikes - just trying to find the euro specs is a bit of a challenge :facepalm:

I was after a set of the Alesa 9017 black rims but not one rim has turned up in about 6 months. Ive seen a gold set but having mocked this up with grey and black parts I think that fits the bill best. Initially due to the missing stem, bars I was thinking of build similar to Sally Hibberds in MBUK on the British Steel Thread, again mainly campag but i think with a bit of shimano thrown in for good measure.

file.php

Re:

It was going to be a Flex stem in the absence of the missing part, but managed to track down an original Zinn stem, wrong colour and obviously had spent its life in the back of someones work shop :D

So this has been off to Argos for a colour match and re:paint. I was considering, for a short period, a complete repaint of the Frame but decided I wanted to keep the little patina that was on this, a bit of touch up maybe and polish and that will do.

From there the effort will be in complete the parts and the search for a 753 bar!!!......this could take a while but I think its worth it.

Nice find on the stem and good call on the paint. It looks far too nice to get it repainted

Following with much interest :) I think you were right to keep the patina - cannot wait to see it built up. Having done a fair bit of Zinn research - I don't recall seeing another green Z-Success anywhere other than in the catalogue, so it's great to see you've rescued this one :)

Back