My Ugly Duckling - '95 Fisher Cronus

jointhedotz

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I picked up a gumtree 'bargain' last week so figured I'd start a thread to show it's transformation from 'alright from a distance' to 'still just about alright from a distance'. For the princely sum of sixty english pounds I acquired the below:

The paint is a little ratty, most parts on it are junk, it's mostly unoriginal, and some CRETIN has pinched the top of the seat tube to make a smaller post fit meaning I have to try and figure out a way to spread it back to 27.2......not so much of a bargain :(

Anyway, it seems a decent frame judging by page 11 of this: http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher ... Fisher.pdf

I'll try and nurse it back to functionality but it's going to be a mix of cheapish modernish components from the parts bin for now. I already have some carbon rigids on the way and most of the stuff needed to get it moving except shifters and brake levers. The aim is something light and fast for cyclepath use and other gentle bimbling that the 456 would be overkill for.

So, there she is....more pics when i start stripping her but for now and suggestions on the seat tube dilema would be appreciated. And....to repaint or not to repaint? Seems a shame despite the scratches, chips, and crazing.

I just don't understand how people come up with these stupid solutions...I don't think I would come up with pinching seattube to fit smaller post even if I tried; I guess I lack creativity.

I don't know how much diameter of the seattube is decreased but maybe you can do something with old seatposts (or very cheap ones) which have diameter that is between diameter of the current seatpost and of the one that you need (27,2). Just start pushing them in until seattube is spread.

I always liked Gary Fishers bikes and now I am looking forward to seeing what you'll make of yours. Good luck!

Re:

Strange isn't it, you just wouldn't do it. Damage a frame for the sake of a cheap seatpost....

They've also cut a split into the opposite side of the tube so there are 2. I'll get pics later, it's unbelievable.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted though, was thinking perhaps some kind of expanding bolt might do it rather than risk further damage pushing it with a seatpost.

So...forks received today so a quick weigh and mock up. Purists please look away:

As said before, it's a bit of a parts bin special for now hence the voodoo bar/stem combo but I reckon it'll look ok.

Re:

Looking forward to seeing how this goes!
I like my Fishers!
You would think the scrote would have cut up a coke can and shim it! I bt he had one lying around! Are the original forks toast!

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3oq5iwvj said:
Looking forward to seeing how this goes!
I like my Fishers!
You would think the scrote would have cut up a coke can and shim it! I bt he had one lying around! Are the original forks toast!

Mike

I did also pull a coke can shim out, looked old :(

As for the Judy's, they go up and down albeit slowly, the elastomers don't look great and since they're borked I have no way of knowing if the damper(s?) work. Crown bolts are rusty, haven't had a proper look at stanctions but seem okish.

It'll hopefully be an interesting build, forks appear to have clearance for a 29er front wheel ;)

Cool - I know them forks :)

That has some pretty thin tubing similar to reynolds 853. At least it's steel - If the PO tried that seatpost bodge with alu, it'd have just snapped off :) Hopefully it will just cold set back to its original position. Should a nice light frameset for sure!

Yeah, the forks should be nice on it, really suprised at how light they are. Cheers :)

As for the frame....I'm hoping I can get it sorted but my attempts to spread the top of the tube have been in vain so far. Perhaps I need to man up a little though.

Actually, I may just take it through to the local Evans, see if their mechanic has any ideas.

Re:

No! Not Evans!

Is there a proper bike shop nearby, or better still a framebuilder?

Mike

Back