Two heads are Better than One,..Roberts WSII Drop Bar Build.

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
This project all started from a conversation with PeteMcc, we were discussing paintwork on different frames, and how best to show the fillet brazing on a steel frame, whilst still having it look period correct......

Anyway....we bounced ideas around and around, and in the end we wanted something that screamed of its time, and complemented the company and frame builder who fabricated the frame.

Two fellas with a similar taste in steel, i guess its quite obvious which brand we both felt would be the right choice.

Roberts.

So rewinding a little bit to BITD.....

As we all know or have heard by now, the early 90s saw the birth of a frame Called the D.O.G.S.B.O.L.O.X....the press went wild for it with its combination of beautifully crafted and lightweight mix of tubes, silver soldered two piece seat stays, Max and 753, machined, lightened, manipulated and perfectly fillet brazed in an attempt to create, the best performing thoroughbred race bike that the world had ever seen.......

And in my book, it was just that......

But what if you were a little hard on your bike, a little heavier set than most, or you were going to be giving it a little more abuse or throwing it down the Bomb holes in this new race category developing that they were calling Downhill.........., The D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X wasnt ment for everyone.....!

If this was the case, then you would have been steered toward its Stable mate at the time....., The White Spider II.

Whilst the D.O.G.S was the featherweight contender, the White Spider II was the welterweight contender....., A careful mix of Reynolds 531 and Tange prestige all fillet brazed, but with nod toward strength before weight.

So for Pete and I, this was to become the base for the project......

After some serious consideration...., and given the team colours of Roberts at the time.... I suggested Zebra..., Pete elaborated further with the Simple word............Etto.

Attachments

• Etto........Cycle Revolution..jpg
    Etto........Cycle Revolution..jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,822
Re:

And so it began........,

Pete sent over a pic from the Cycle Revolution days and a Etto helmet, and i grabbed a piece of paper and started drawing freehand.

once i had attempted to replicate all the detail from the helmet, i scanned it, and printed it.

Attachments

• PAGE 1 BLACK.jpg
    PAGE 1 BLACK.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,803
Re:

I thought it would be easy to simply blue tack on the cut out paper to try and replicate the helmet and get each piece to look right, it wasnt, it took four attempts and still i couldnt be sure i had it right.

The only option was to strip the frame by hand and to start the paint process to get the first colour on, then take a flyer and "stick" the cut out decals on, and hope it looks right come the end.

It was, at least less laborious, than with blue tack, but it was a one time deal....and even then I was having to think about it in reverse.......as the predominant colour was white.

Attachments

• A sticky wicket perhaps.....jpg
    A sticky wicket perhaps.....jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,782
  • IMG_8341.jpg
    IMG_8341.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,782
  • IMG_8343.jpg
    IMG_8343.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,782
Re: Two heads are Better than One.......

You trusted the opinion of a man with the World's largest Laura-Ashley-curtain-print-circa-1992-shirt collection?

Looks badass still.

Re:

Nice indeed. Still smirking at you preference for double headed....

Nice helmet by the way.

Yes I am 14!

Rod_Saetan":2mj7o2yy said:
You trusted the opinion of a man with the World's largest Laura-Ashley-curtain-print-circa-1992-shirt collection?

Looks badass still.

Cheers Roly, your as much to blame, (realise it or not), with your illicit supply of hard to find components....!

Cheers fellas. its been a fun project so far...

Re: Re:

M-Power":2mh2ofnf said:
That looks fantastic :cool: Good write up too.

Cheers Bud,

All the greats including Fatchance, Roberts, Yeti, Bontrager, Mountain Goat, at one point had some kind of Zebra theme, but I guess like the Legend Joe Breeze Said....Paint is only a veneer, and images of these bikes are thin on the ground.

But here are the "Stripes" of Fat Chance.

Attachments

• Stripes.jpg
    Stripes.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,704

I really like the paint scheme, but I would have reversed the coulours.
Now it is more black than white, but that is a matter of taste.
Pink decals would like the Etto would look great.
You started your story with wich paint job would show the brazing best, but with this scheme it is not very visable, is it?

Back