Dave Lloyd 531

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
As I seem to have a few builds stalled at the moment (I seem to find loads of stuck seatposts!), I thought posting one here might spur me on. Plus I hope this will be a fairly simple T-cut, polish and replacement of a few more common parts, so shouldn't be too time-consuming.

I always recall Roberts, Yates and Lloyd as the three 'name' bespoke builders back when I was first into cycling. One was still missing from the garage, so when this popped up on eBay I did a quick deal. Picked up yesterday so current state reflected in the pictures.

LL91 xxxx frame number and mainly Deore II or DX parts. Mavic 261cd rims. Needs shifters, sadldle, bar, canti's (these are 'Versa C5'?), less rusty stem and a good clean and possibly new decals! One annoying dent in the top tube but this is hidden under the cable runs, and the paint helps disguise it further. A lot of tyre rub on inside chainstays, I hope the rust and grease aren't hiding anything.

I love the salsa jellybean-like paint. Looks like almost pearl white with hand applied brushed blue and red swipes of paint.

531 All Terrain, so I think the bottom-range frame, but most of the details are similar to the 753 build on here (Giom6).

Very pleased to find this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,505
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,506
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,506
Re:

Nice find, even if it is as you seem to think 'bottom of the range' I is still a really nice looking frame, not uber keen on the jellybean-a-like paint job myself but it really does show that whoever originally ordered this was inspired by the salsa of the time but wanted British built.

Nice easy 'cheap' fixer upper in my opinion............ does the seatpost move then ;)

RBG

Re:

Thanks. To clarify I only meant bottom range as in the following advert (credit and thanks to Sinnerman on Gio's thread, I hope you don't mind me reproducing the image) it shows the range thus:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,473
looks ace that dude, hopefully an easy restoration and plenty of s/miles to follow

Awesum find.....Very Cool Paint too... :cool:

Rule Britannia, never seen it in the flesh....Very cool.

We're moving in rarefied circles when Reynolds's 531 ATB tubeset is referred to as bottom-range. ;)

"531 All Terrain, so I think the bottom-range frame, but most of the details are similar to the 753 build on here (Giom6)."

Back