Alpinestars Ti-Mega

Simod

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This must be one of the longest Retrobike projects going - I spoke about this very bike to Mr K at the North Downs meet back in March 2007 when I had just picked up the frame.

A friend of a friend bought this bike back in the day, when I worked part time in the local bike shop. I think it would have been about 1992 as I remember this thing being three times the price of the car I was driving at the time! I always wanted one but could never afford one and had to make do with various Alu framed versions. An opportune phone call in Feb '07 saw a deal struck for the frame. I had numerous bits lying around, but as always there were several bits needed.

I'm intending to ride this (I don't do garage queens) and hence the build is one of practicality - some people won't agree with the spec but hey, it's me that'll be riding it............

Specification-
Frame: Alpinestars Ti-Mega 20"
Fork: Cannondale Pepperoni (Thanks 'Jonrock') with Force 40 (Cheers 'Scant')
Headset: 1 1/4" Aheadset (Thanks 'Jonrock')
Stem: Control Tech 1 1/4" - 130mm Zero Rise (Cheers 'Hardtail)
Handlebar: Ritchey Prolight (Cheers 'Hardtail')
Grips: Ritchey WCS Clear(ish)

Brakes: Campag Euclid Front - DX Rear
Brake Levers: Tektro (Cheers 'Hardtail')

Shifters: XT Thumbie Rear - Gripshift Front
Front Derailleur: DX
Rear Derailleur: XT
Cassette: XT 13-30 7sp
Chain: Rohloff
Cranks: XT
Bottom Bracket: XT
Pedals: XT SPD

Front Wheel: DX on Matrix Mt Aero
Rear Wheel: XT on Mavic 231
Tyres: IRC Mythos 1.9

Saddle: SLR
Seatpost: Control Tech 27.2 (Thanks 'MadCowKev')
Seatpost Binder: Litespeed

Thanks to all those that have supplied bits - but a massive thank you must go to 'B3' who has manufactured some crucial bits that I don't think I would have been able to find!

Just needs decals to finish - overall I'm pretty pleased.

Attachments

• Ti-Mega Front.jpg
    Ti-Mega Front.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,916
  • Ti-Mega side.jpg
    Ti-Mega side.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,916
  • Ti-Mega.jpg
    Ti-Mega.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,916
i used to run the exact same shifter combo cos i broke my thumb real bad and couldnt change thumbies or sti with it!! Thank god for gripshift or i wouldnt have been riding gears for aggggeeesss

i like the bike too!!

Nice :cool: looks like a rider. How does the pepperoni sit with the Ti frame?

It would be funny to ride with the hard pepperoni with a sweet titanium frame. :D
A steel fork would be better.
But's it's nice :cool:

strange shifter combo
whats it about?

I used to use this set-up 'back in the day' on a couple of my race bikes - always provoked a conversation but i found it good. It's like this on here partly for that reason and partly because it's what i had lying around! :LOL:

It would be funny to ride with the hard pepperoni with a sweet titanium frame.
A steel fork would be better.

Seems to ride fine. These came with the straight Alpinestars aluminium fork as standard, which talking from experience, is even harsher than the Pepperoni. I have got a set of the Alpinestars but the steerer wasn't long enough. :cry: A titanium fork was offered as an option but i have never seen one of these. Maybe our resident Alpinestars ex-pro can shed some light on this - Flyingwelshman, what's your comments?
As for steel, well Alpinestars never intended this and then there is the problem of finding one - sadly you have got to go with what you can find with 1 1/4".

Pepperoni certainly looks the biz with the size of the Ti tubes. Guess you got a rigid with a bit of soak from the Ti. Reckon there was some talk recently too about Ti forks not being great.

Back