Marin Bear Valley SE 1994 *New pics: page 2*

Niallmo

Devout Dirtbag

Picked it up today for a great price. Needs a good clean and surface rust removal and I broke the bolt that holds the internals in the STX right shifter cos I'm an idiot sometimes. It's nice and light and runs well with the Panaracers.

Re: Marin Bear Valley SE 1994

looks good to me bud. I have a soft spot for early to mid nineties Marins but please god take those reflectors off ;)

haggis":2a0piwaj said:
please god take those reflectors off ;)

Will do, ASAP. Hopefully I can spend half an hour tonight getting some cleaning done. Be glad you didn't see the horrendous frame bag or pump brackets!

I have one of those, yours looks like it is in much better nick.
Great bikes, although I tend to ride mine on the road and gravel tracks rather than full on off-road.

Attachments

• 1994 Bear Valley SE.JPG
    1994 Bear Valley SE.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,433
Re:

Well I've ordered some new Shimano shifters/brakes til I can get a replacement for the right hand STX SE set. Bit too much cash at the mo £16 for new versus £40-50ish for used originals. I'll try and hunt some down.

Worth putting up a wanted as on here, you shouldn't have to pay that much for stx! Great bike, hope you enjoy, looking forward to more updates.

Re:

I think someone did ask about STX recently but few replies.

Tonight I've taken the reflectors off and had a better look at it. Needs thorough clean but it seems to have been kept ok mechanically. I've swapped the god awful seat for a Selle Turbo-matic II for now. I love the Panaracers on it, changed the front tube as it had Slime sealant leaking from the valve rim hole and pumped them to 60 psi. Feels really good on road, just need to get the shifters and gear cables sorted, tidy it up a bit and I can get to riding it properly.

Managed to get a set of STX shifters/brake levers relatively cheap on eBay...on the same day my new ones arrived! The new ones are not the right version anyway as they don't work with Canti brakes even though I tried to get the right version.

Have a neck pair of Marin shorts on the way too....

Re:

Wonderful rig!

I too have a soft spot for early 90's Marin built in USA bikes - before the Chinarin frames began to surface.

Back