My Daughter's (10yrs old) first retrobike - Alpinestars T24

Defiant

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
My favorite time of the week, is when i go mountain biking with my daughter Kirsten, age 10.

Since last summer she has a Cube 240, which is a decent bike but nothing special. It is not easy finding a quality bike for kids.

This is her with the Cube

After only a couple of months she is already outgrown the Cube, my little girl is getting big.
A few weeks back i thought a bought a small Rocky Mountain Tibolt but unfortunately the seller was as reliable as Donald Trump so I had t look for something else.
Through the forum i got some great offers, really cool once ,.. but Kirsten had last call so she picked a Alpinestars T24
Really cool bike but equipped with a mix of old parts that could use some upgrading
This is how we bought the bike

A mix of 400LX, 1 XT thumbie, a broken BB,.. etc

Today we already made so changes at my parents house (my shipping address for all bike related goods :) )

I took it home to work this evening, what else can you right ? ;)

With my own bikes I seldom use low level parts so with kirsten her bike I also will use some good parts.
I was hoping to use a really cool Titus Titanium 1" stem but the T24 has a weird size stem so for now it is not on option.

Bike as it right now,.. still a long way to go,.. might want to respray the frame i a few months when she likes it.

Frame: Alpinestars T24

Fork: Alpinestars T24

Headset: Alpinestars
Stem: Alpinestars
Handlebar: Titus titanium
Grips: Profile -> will be replaced
Barends: Some sort of Gary Fisher -> Will be replaced by Dean Titanium

Brakes: XTR M900 -> might want to replace them with Avid V-Brakes
Brake Pads: don't know
Brake Cables: don't know
Cantilever cable hangers: XTR M900
Brake Levers: Avid

Shifters: Grip Shift X-Ray
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: don't know
Cassette: XT
Chain: don't know
Cranks: XTR M900
Crank Bolts: don't know
Chainrings: XTR M900
Chainring bolts: XTR M900
Bottom Bracket: XT
Pedals: don't know

Hub Skewers: XTR
Rims: Spengle
Hubs: Spengle
Nipples: Spengle
Spokes: Spengle
Tyres: Michelin Country Trail 2.0 (The look huge, biggest size that fits)
Tubes: Schwalbe

Saddle: Turbo
Seatpost: don't know -> looking for a Syncros , hopefully a Titanium one
Seatpost Binder: Ringle

Weight: don't know

Want to upgrade some parts, have some spare Ringle stuff like a H2O, Holey skewers and Gorilla Boosters, but in the wrong color so looking for some trades soon
Tomorrow she will see the bike for the first time

Re: My Daughter's (10yrs old) first retrobike

Looks great :cool: I have one of these but I don't think it will be quite so good as this when I'm done!

Re: My Daughter's (10yrs old) first retrobike

Although I've always thought those style of wheels were not very nice the rest of it is very cool. Clearly a lot of love going into the build and I can't wait till my wee girls is old enough for me to build her something like this. Job well done I say.

Re:

Looks great. Stem is 1 1/4 i think.

Where's the first photo taken, looks to be some cool bikes in the background/reflection.

Re:

:cool:

I've been looking at smaller frames for the Mrs, who is 5ft, and my daughter will probably be taller than in the near future, how tall is your daughter may I ask, you just say she's getting big,

and one other thing, those cranks look fairly standard in length, maybe 170mm ? did you look at shorter crank lengths ?

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":3q73prc0 said:
Looks great. Stem is 1 1/4 i think.

Where's the first photo taken, looks to be some cool bikes in the background/reflection.

The stem size is less then 1",.. the Titus 1" stem is way to big.
That one is taken at the dutch mountainbike museum in Arnhem.

daugs":jrbrwaq1 said:
:cool:

I've been looking at smaller frames for the Mrs, who is 5ft, and my daughter will probably be taller than in the near future, how tall is your daughter may I ask, you just say she's getting big,

and one other thing, those cranks look fairly standard in length, maybe 170mm ? did you look at shorter crank lengths ?

In normal european sizes she is now a bit over 140cm tall.
The XTR cranks are 170. That was also the normal crank lenght on the T24

Today she is going to see the bike for the first time. The saddle height on the picture is the max height, for her it needs to come down

Defiant":2v1gd5nw said:
In normal european sizes she is now a bit over 140cm tall.
The XTR cranks are 170. That was also the normal crank lenght on the T24

Today she is going to see the bike for the first time. The saddle height on the picture is the max height, for her it needs to come down

thanks for that, sure she'll love it

so 4'7" in "old english" to save those over the channel working it out. Any chance of a pic when you've adjusted it for her.

daugs":1yqdxm5n said:
thanks for that, sure she'll love it

so 4'7" in "old english" to save those over the channel working it out. Any chance of a pic when you've adjusted it for her.

Will take one and post :)

Back