1991 Cannondale SE2000 find

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
This popped up on Gumtree earlier in the week. The asking price was high, but the seller was open to offers so, after a few messages had been exchanged I made one ... and he accepted.

Turns out the seller was a Cannondale dealer and the bike had been hanging on the wall of the shop for quite a few years.

I collected it today and it's in very good condition. Tyres, saddle, and qr levers aside it's catalogue spec. I have a pair of amberwall IRC tyres I'll put on it (or maybe a pair of green Wildgrippers?) and I might replace the Flite with a Turbo saddle.

The rear coil spring looks a little untidy - I'll look into getting it powdercoated, or replaced with another if I can find one (the seller tells me Cannondale still have these in stock). Anyone know where these can be found?

Attachments

• SE2000 05.JPG
    SE2000 05.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 1,242
  • SE2000 04.JPG
    SE2000 04.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,240
  • SE2000 03.JPG
    SE2000 03.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 1,239
  • SE2000 02.JPG
    SE2000 02.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,242
  • SE2000 01.JPG
    SE2000 01.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 1,243
Looks in good condition with a nice spec - nice find :)

Here it is after a good scrub, a bit of paint restorer, and a NOS pair of IRC Mythos tyres I had hanging around (purely coincidental that they match the IRC stickers on the swingarm).

A set of Ringle Holey skewers (courtesy of pete_mcc) and a NOS 1991 Turbo saddle are on the way. And the spring is about to be powder coated neon pink.

Attachments

• 1991 Cannondale SE2000.jpg
    1991 Cannondale SE2000.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,101
Thanks guys - appreciate your comments.

To be honest there wasn't that much to do (compared to some other projects).

I'll post a few more photos when it's finished.

Re:

How does the suspension perform? I'd say it performs 'as expected'.

By 1991 standards the suspension was probably a revelation. By 2016 standards it's left wanting. I haven't had it off-road yet, just a bimble around the neighbourhood and local park, but I found the suspension comfortable rather than plush. It'll soak up trail buzz but it's never going to soak up the big hits - and it would be naive of me to think it would.

Most of all, it's fun! :D

Nicely done! That looks lovely - perfect early 90s paint scheme :)

Re:

Nice find !
It's my favorite and most iconic 'dale !
I bought one in 1991, crossed the nothern Territory from Darwin to Ayers'Rock in 1993 with it… and still got it !

For the rear shock and alloy parts, just a little polish and it will become as new !
For the spring, just a good clean, respraying in white first and neon pink secondly.

For riding : check the shock bolts. The bike wasn't enough lateral stiff and Cannondale made more strong shock fixations in 1992 for their DeltaV. For the spring, adjust and tighten it as hard as it doesn't move when you seat on the bike (SAG 0) and choose a red urethane for the stem… and enjoy !!! :D

(and remove that horrible IRC decal on the swingarm !)

Very nice! Very cool bike. How much did you pay if I may ask?
I have the same, with a few marks on the paint, but with all parts in nearly new condition.

Latest posts

Back