schwinn homegrown 96 build

jgjones095

Old School Hero
Ok so this starts back in Dec 2012 when I picked up this frame from an old friend. I also got them original rockshox forks and a chris king headset.

It started life like this

So the plan was to reframe my 1st bike I bought, rebuilt, then rebuilt again back in the mid 90's. I have have other bikes since but this was based on an old heavy steal apollo triple triangle frame from 92.
The drive train is primarily alivio but got upgraded to stx, stx se and LX, what i could afford in that era

But then I found this site and ebay.....

So I started gathering shimano m950 parts and what retro xlite parts I could find.

So after some delay it's started

Re:

So on with the forks

On with the stem and headset plug

On with the handlebars

Starting to take shape

Next onto the drive chain but this is where problems start.

Re:

Another Schwinn :LOL: ..... they're pretty rare around these parts, as is any great love for them

I've a Homegrown FS (just about finished but yet to ride it)

Whats the problem with the drive you mention?

Re:

Hi yeah homwgrown seem to be rare this side of the pond.
I shall be honest I don't know much about them myself.
As I mensioned I got or from and old friend and forum member here who was collecting them up until recently.
Not sure if your of FB but there is a good schwinn homegrown group where guys know their schwinn there.

Drive train issue I shall get to once resolved.

So the build continues...

Got the 8 speed m950 rear cassette fitted to the wheels.

The wheels are black mavic 317 rims laced with black spokes to m950 hubs.

Got them mounted too

Time to fit m950 8 speed sti's

1st some new shifter cables and greased the inside of the mechs

Get them fitted on the bars

Got the m950 front mech fitted after needing the shimano shims because I bought the wrong size diameter.

Next onto the rear mech. I'd picked up two models the m950 in a short cage and the m951 in a long.

I got the m951 as I liked the rolamajig built into it. However have since learnt that it's reverse mech so I shall see how I get on with it...

Having swapped the jockey wheels over I've mounted the m951.

Re:

So onto the crank and it continues with the m950 series.

Incudes with it was a bb, not the m950 but a 5500 road version.
This meant new tools were required.

So with another new tool bought it was on with the fitting,

And I didn't spot the issue until attempting the left crank arm

well as I'm sure most of you know there is a point in any build where you realise you need more parts.

So having research probably it appears that my bb width was 175 not 168mm as per bottom bracket.
And then the find of bb selection continues with the overall width required.
Anyway I was lucky enough to pick this up....
A NOS m952 bb from the USA.
And best of all the shipping was cheep aa I was travelling travelling to the usa too.

So once home it was out to the shed and time to fit the new part

brake time, and ive continued with the m950 parts with v brakes, but not without issues.

After unpacking the set i bought a few years previous for this build I notices the first bodge

While this works mechanically i wasn't really happy with the way it looked. However this wasn't the major problem, I was unaware of the parallel issue until I fitted them (video)...

So after some online searching I attempted to shim the brakes however not all was as straight forward with refurbish

So after a bit of searching I managed to get another set of brakes whiich fortunately had very little play in so on they went.

And then on with new brake cables

Back