Overbury's Pioneer 1988 - Finished Page 8

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So I finally snagged one, and in a good size too ever since seeing LGF's orange/grey pioneer I knew I wanted one. Saw this on ebay and made some inquiries about the condition and whilst chatting seller kindly made a price suggestion and offered to post too so as I just sold a house, I thought I would treat myself.

Well, it arrived and it as the photos suggested.....its been boxed by a greengrocer :LOL: otherwise its quite unloved, bars were buckled, u-brake faded, headset a mish mash, V-brake...yuck, 200GS rear mech :| but the canvas is all there, seatpost & stem came out no problem and will be binned so now its just bottom bracket playtime tomorrow(gotta do this at work as I wasnt allowed any more bikes :oops: ) so now its just finish decision time, colours? stem?, probably going Deore DX again........ anyways, I love bringing old bikes back to life and I'm gonna love putting my touch on this too. :)

RBG

IMAG1462_zpsumn0p4kb.jpg

IMAG1463_zpsrb8pyyuj.jpg

Re: Overbury's Pioneer ... finally!

Lovely - signing in for updates :)

Re:

Frame number 2225, I'm guessing 1988 unless anyone knows more? when did they go away from headtube cable stops?
measures 18" C-top tube 20.5" C-top
XT bits and bobs but non driveside crank appears to be exage and it had an exage mountain front derailleur, upgraded over time or cut costs on certain parts from new? did they custom spec parts too?
It wont be black ;)

RBG

Re: Overbury's Pioneer ... finally!

They were pretty much all custom available with Exage up to XT depending on budget.

Re:

Here's some 1988 documentation.....

Attachments

• OverburyMBiker19880004sml.jpg
    OverburyMBiker19880004sml.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 2,152
  • OverburyMBiker19880003sml.jpg
    OverburyMBiker19880003sml.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 2,150
Re:

Si_33":238szfdp said:
Noooo! Crazy times :) Mine is frame number...... 2226! Mine is 1988 so your guess is spot-on :) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337274

fantastic - theyre practically from the same clutch, I did look at the one you have but after a lot of measuring I decided 'reluctantly' to pass as I feared it was just a tad small for me :cry: , after riding the roberts I acquired last year I have started to realise that size matters and I need to feel comfortable on a ride so my search continued - yours is a true survivor however :cool: really nice.

I have a full DX groupset...... in black, been wanting to get it used for ages so thats probably sorted that although sourcing some exage mountain did cross my mind as no one seems to want to save the more affordable groupsets of the day :( (mark my words! exage may become the hardest thing to find in years to come)

need to start thinking colours, I have a P-r-e-t-t-y good idea what I'm thinking of, very traditional fade style..... I have spent all night looking at the fine examples on here and I do like its original blue/yellow but....

blank canvas

and time for a new colour maybe

RBG

Latest posts

Back