1992 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

PeteC

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just spotted this beauty on CL in Oregon about 24 hours ago. A few desperate emails and phone calls later, and it's safe and secure in a friend's basement, waiting to be shipped to me in Atlanta on Monday.

The brief backgrounder: the seller co-owned a very prominent bike shop in Portland back in the day (Fat Tire Farm---still running). During his time there, he purchased this beauty to hang in the shop window. It brought in customers to see their Rockys and Konas, as you can imagine, in addition to the Yetis and Santa Cruzs. After he sold off his portion of the shop, he moved this bike to storage where it has sat for over a decade! The seller is moving out of the country soon, so needed to unload some toys.

I'll post better images of it when it's in my hands. It's an 18.5" frame with Mag 21s, mostly RF and Syncros bits, m735, etc. Plans are pretty simple (for now anyways). I'll clean the dust off of it and give it a complete overhaul for starters. I'll also remove the bar ends and replace the saddle with a Flite ti. Otherwise, probably just gonna run it as-is.

Attachments

• thunderboltad.jpg
    thunderboltad.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 00p0p_iBMTkH9Hxnb_600x450.jpg
    00p0p_iBMTkH9Hxnb_600x450.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,183
Great score Pete. Is that a Vetta Lite with shoulder holder? Do you know the year?

I think that's the saddle. The shoulder holder apparently has the 'Rocky Mountain' logo on it, but I haven't seen it yet in person.

The saddle is original to the frame, so late 1992, according to its original owner.

Wow!! Great find! I like the paint job. Also looking forward to some pics once it's cleaned up!

Back