A Kona to keep....? Doubtful with me! '95 Cindy content.....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So....picked this up off here with a view to making a 'rat' hack bike, and hey, it's a Kona, I was never going to be long without another one!! :mrgreen:

Advertised as a 17", it's actually a 16" which suits me better, and came with a Race Light post, and other bits and bobs...and a lot of scabby rust, in fact it's got more scabs than a kid with Impetigo....and a bad crease on the seat tube from an overly zealous front mech tightening...so perfect hack bike material then!

Despite temperatures only just above freezing yesterday, I managed to rust proof the thing internally quite successfully in the winter sunshine, he's now sat on a lot of old sheets next to the radiator, and the Dinitrol seems to have formed a nice film of skin over the insides, and the back of the car.... :facepalm:

Certainly from the rust showing through externally, it's just as well I got something inside those tubes fairly quick. Plan is....well there isn't one yet! Desperately need some ahead P2's, as I couldn't be doing with the threaded version and a quill stem. Have just found out there's a chance for me to be spending a lot of time in Normandy over the next year or two, maybe even ending up living there, and it's beautifully flat riding country, so maybe the original plan of a 1 x 7, or even the single speed stuff off the Orange, isn't so daft, with a mix and match approach on the kit, though apart from the forks I think I have everything I need.

Love the colour too, away from the rusty bits....

Attachments

• Cindy and bits 007.JPG
    Cindy and bits 007.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,446
  • Cindy and bits 006.JPG
    Cindy and bits 006.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,444
  • Cindy and bits 008.JPG
    Cindy and bits 008.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,442
  • Cindy and bits 010.JPG
    Cindy and bits 010.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,442
  • Cindy and bits 009.JPG
    Cindy and bits 009.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,442
  • Cindy and bits 011.JPG
    Cindy and bits 011.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,442
  • Cindy and bits 012.JPG
    Cindy and bits 012.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,444
Re:

Thanks LGF, don't know why, I was thinking yours were ahead! :facepalm:

Definitely want to try for some aheads if poss, will make everything else I have to fit a lot easier....not exactly a 'period correct' build this one.... :LOL:

Well, not at the mo anyway, perhaps I will have to go down that route....

Fairly sure I have some threaded forks and headset if you do go that route. Possibly even a stem although it's probably 130mm, if it actually exists :LOL: Never had much trouble with threaded and I'd hazard that I'm less dainty than you...

What's the plan for all the nasty rust??? :cry:

Re:

:LOL:

Apparently it's 'Rover Kingfisher blue', so hoping in the summer to maybe get rid of the worst of it and prime then paint in those areas. Or alternatively hope it doesn't get any worse and not worry about it....the insides should be OK at least!

Re:

I'd be nervous riding that anywhere other than a flat road that rust looks pretty bad going by the pics!

Kyle

Re:

It might be a shadow or my mobile viewing limitations but that looks like a crack on the top bridge stay weld.

Back