1995/1996 S-works Team steel with Judy fsx

flipwils11

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Finally I found an s-works steel after several years of on and off searches. I was ideally looking for the grayish blue frame from around 1994 but kept missing out or finding them in the wrong size. This sucker popped up in a search and at first I thought it was a Team M2, still a very cool bike. But then after some clarifications and help from Bart (stumpjumper1990) I realized what it was and bought it.

Because it was a steel in the team red with a Judy fsx I was willing to try to stretch for a 19" which is slightly big for me (5'8"). But when it arrived today I remeasured center to center and it's 18". Yeeesiiir!!

I tried a magnet over the bottom bracket and I'm pretty sure it's titanium. Stem is the original ti and the red Avid brake levers are nice. But the rest of the bike is fairly moderate spec, xtr m900 rear derailer but the rest is XT. No fancy wheels or hubs either. Even the skewers seem pretty basic.

My plan is an m950 xtr build keeping the avid brake levers. I can't tell if the seatpost is exotic, any info about what would have come on this bike, seatpost and seat? I'll also ditch the grip shift in favor of lovely xtr index shifting.

The frame indicates it's a 95 but I thought the red team steel s-works was only in their 1996 catalog? Is this the last s-works steel that Specialized offered?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,695
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,690
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,687
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,689
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,697
Re:

I'd go end '95 frame for '96 model year.

My '94 S-Works Steel is red with white decals (outlined like '94 S-Works FSR but white not yellow) and the '95 Steel wad the lovely grey you mention.

Yours looks similar to the '96 MY M2 frames (colour and decal wise) so that'd be my educated guess - but with '95 build spec...

Maybe the 95 s-works steel had the grey color frame but the s-works team (steel and M2) were all in the red theme?

Nice score, I love those team red steel Spesh. I have teh fsx brother of yours coming in this week presumably. Same fork. And I also plan to use m900 for the build. :cool:
You forgot to mention "the King" in your list of fancy stuff ;)
May I ask, what did you pay for that gem?

I paid $500 including shipping. Not a great deal, but fair I thought given the bike's overall good condition and rarity.

Yes the headset was a nice touch. I already have my first parts change planned! I hope there are some matching fastener pieces I can source to turn the little one into a seat skewer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,449
Nice! Wish I'd kept this one:

IMAGE_04353D27-EF58-4B25-8668-21B7E2A71790.JPG

Re:

Collecting some parts for this build, I'm leaving the frame as-is for now. No repaint or decals.

I have all XTR 950 ready to go, and I've added some other goodies. I'm keeping the titanium bottom bracket so I couldn't use XTR cranks. Finding those XTR 950 shifter pods was tough on my wallet!

I'm still on the lookout for some smoke II redwall tires, but I didn't find out anything conclusive on my question in the chat forum about these other than the fuzzy image I found on google. post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=344951

Attachments

• kooka-crankset1.jpg
    kooka-crankset1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,242
  • kore-seatpost-26.8-1.jpg
    kore-seatpost-26.8-1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 2,241
  • red-kore-handlebar1.jpg
    red-kore-handlebar1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,240
  • xtr-rear-derailer-m950-1.jpg
    xtr-rear-derailer-m950-1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,240
  • xtr-shifter-pods-m950-1.jpg
    xtr-shifter-pods-m950-1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,240
  • yellow-mavic-wheels-xtr-hubs1.jpg
    yellow-mavic-wheels-xtr-hubs1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,241
  • red-s-works-saddle-1.jpg
    red-s-works-saddle-1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,241
Getting closer to assembly, fork is getting rebuilt by Jerry at Hippie Tech then it'll be ready to go.

Attachments

• PART_1461117886777.jpeg
    PART_1461117886777.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,129
Re:

I feel like I'm talking to myself in this thread.... :? :roll: but here goes in case anyone is interested.

The bike is 99% completed, but I have a leak in the rebuilt Judy FSX and I'm still looking for a solution to get the seatpost skewer to match the wheel hub skewers in that lovely S-works red. I also need to research v-brake braces for the rear because it's flexing the frame when I squeeze the brakes hard. Any recommendations on the seatpost skewer and the v-brake brace would be appreciated!

I decided NOT to restore and paint the frame. It isn't perfect, but I like the originality and look and reflecting on the recent restoration of my 1994 Stumpjumper http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 8#p2553494 I thought I would keep the stock paint and decals on this build.

Frame: Specialized S-Works Team, steel, 1995

Fork: Judy FSX

Headset: Chris King
Stem: S-works titanium
Handlebar: Kore
Grips: ESI
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Shimano XTR M950
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Avid

Shifters: Shimano XTR M950