1993 Purple GT RTS Tech-Shop (Thx GM)

34henry3w

Retro Guru
Hey Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what year this thing is? cant find it in any of the GT catalogues...

I picked this up last week. It has the biggest case of identity crisis I have ever seen!

The guy who built it literally used brand new parts and then never rode it. The frame is NOS with only shelf wear. Everything is miss matched but new. The bomber fork is NOS. It has NOS late model Deore XT parts, thomson post etc...

The plan is to:

-part it out on ebay. I am only keeping the frame. (paid $300 for the entire bike and easily has $400 worth of NOS parts on it...)
-Get a m900 donor bike for a new groupo.
-Strip the ano, polish the frame, add new decals
-Ad a newly built set of 1995 Judy SLs
-Add nos syncros stem, post, flite saddle, white industries/mavic 217 wheels, titec ti bar etc..

My wife wants to kill me as she loves the purple but the barney look isnt for me!

Attachments

• Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 895
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 895
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 895
Re: 1996? GT Team RTS Who can tell me about it?

If you dont like the color, just sell it and use the money for a frame in the color you like. You might even come out with some buks extra. Or ask the public for a swap, maybe you're lucky.
DON'T strip that frame. :facepalm:

I mean, honestly. Just.... .. don't.

(Your a lucky guy getting those nice parts tho.. :mrgreen: )

Re:

Thias":2z03toem said:
If you dont like the color, just sell it and use the money for a frame in the color you like. You might even come out with some buks extra. Or ask the public for a swap, maybe you're lucky.
DON'T strip that frame. :facepalm:

I mean, honestly. Just.... .. don't.

(Your a lucky guy getting those nice parts tho.. :mrgreen: )

show me an nos unfatigued, undented last gen one in the largest size and no problem! NOS decals are $25 and it costs nothing to strip and polish. (plsihed gts where just ball burnished and not anodized)...plus it looks great in the pic but has a lot of ano fading, at least 5 large scratches and decal tears...all look to be from careless storage.

Are you sure you want to take the anodisation down it kinda looks cool like that... :)

There's something about keeping the period correct-ness of the bike in tact ;)

I agree, you should keep the color alive.

I have a friend on a hot pink explosive pro that is just awesome because of the original color. He gets compliments all the time. I'm sure there's a thread around here on whether to strip or not. Its get pretty intense.

Either way its a gorgeous bike you have there.

:)

Re:

thanks guys I think you might all be right...I think i have something really rare here....

check this out. the serial number notes a 1998! build date. I thought 96 was the last year. also look how the year seems to be stamped after it was anodized...

what on earth is going on with this thing? a June 98 rts? huh??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 761
Re:

unit3":2hp4xi8o said:
Looks more like a 93 stamp modified to read 98.

agreed!...but why would anyone do that?

maybe GT had a batch of 93s left over as no one likes the colour...so they restamped, re-decaled them as warranty frames in 98?

who is the gt guru that could tell?

Re:

Ok the mystery is solved thx to some GT expertise by GM...

The front triangle is a late 93 tech shop frame with a 94 rear alum triangle and 94 team decals.

No clue why someone re-stamped the serial number.

not sure what the plan is now :(

Back