Cannondale Delta V Hardtail

garyoneill

Retro Guru
Hi Folks

I have had a polished Cannondale on the list for a while and finally bit the bullet a couple of days before Christmas with a last minute eBay purchase. It was listed as a Cannondale ‘Sparky’ which I suspect was a previous owners pet name for it!

Somehow it arrive in tact, given that it was wrapped in an old curtain and wrapped up with gaffa tape I half expected it to be totalled.

After a couple of nights of paint stripping (Yet to find a paint stripper that actually works) I have taken the frame back to the aluminium. Fortunately, it looks in god shape, the odd stone chip here and there and the only real damage being some gouges and a very slight depression where the front mech fits. I don’t think this will be noticeable once built :D Next job paint stripping the fork.

However, I going to need some guidance on the fork if any of you feel obliging  Its one of the very early Delta V forks, it still holds air (or has done for the last few weeks without any noticeable loss) however the fork boot is missing and the damping nut is missing.

So to pick your brains…

1. Can you get a fork boot on without dismantling the fork?

2. There only seems to be one fork boot on the web, it claims to be for all headshok forks, anyone any experience of replacing a boot of this age?

3. I have read online that any attempt to dismantle the shock knackers it up, is this true?
If I dismantle the fork and kill the shock, will an alternate headshok fork damper fit?

4. Lastly, I have posted a pic of the serial number below BT – 0301, the vintage Cannondale website does not describe a serial number of this format, any guesses on the model and year? I am assuming a Delta V 1500 / 700 based on the fork?[/list]

… off to find the autosol…

Attachments

• DV Frame 1.jpg
    DV Frame 1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 978
  • DV Forks 1.jpg
    DV Forks 1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 978
  • DV Frame 2.jpg
    DV Frame 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 978
  • DV Frame 4.jpg
    DV Frame 4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 977
  • DV Frame 3.jpg
    DV Frame 3.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 977
After a long hiatus, I thought I would post an update on the Delta V. I planned to polish it up to a high shine but the corrosion on the seat tube (where the front mech clamps on) annoyed me so I decided to fill the damage and paint it.

I always like the look of the white full suspension deltas so used that as inspiration. I had read that dismantling the shock on the original delta V fork was likely to end in tears so decided to paint around it.

I don’t have particularly sophisticated facilities (Parts are painted hanging off the washing line) so it has taken months to either get the right weather or to sand down the god knows how many layers needed to get a decent coverage or to dry the paintwork adequately.

Gil provided the decals (twice as I was not happy about the alignment on one I had fitted).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 753
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 752
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 752
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 752
Nice to see this project. I have a 1500 too waiting to be painted when the sun shines and temperatures go up hehe. Mine is a 1st generation with the aluminum cups on the headset.

Attachments

• deltav1500.jpg
    deltav1500.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 700
Re: Re:

garyoneill":1li0dhdj said:
Nice, looks tidy with the single ring set up :)

thanks, it is all temporary with parts I had laying arround. I have currenty the original rithey logic crankset on ebay but I am tempted to cancel it and put it back once it is painted.

I also wanted to replace the "wasted" Delta V Fork but my version has a wider lower bearing (and cup on the frame) so the reducers I bought do not work. So I am going to do the same as you did, paint the fork too together witht he frame.

May I ask what product you used to remove the paint? Or did you do it all with some sandpaper by hand every day during the last year :) ?

Re:

I used nitromors and a paint and varnish remover by Blackfriars, it took ages but the trick I found was to paint it on and wrap it in cling film or old carrier bags. It stops it drying out, it needs hours to work these days. I am currently stripping a GT RTS and it’s taking a while...

Re:

Just on the fork, I heard you can replace the shock unit with a newer model. I didn’t fancy touching mine as it still worked. There’s a couple of NOS shock units on fleabay at at the moment

Thanks for the info. Nice to know about the decals too. Keep posting pictures of your delta, looking forward to see it complete.

Back