My first ever mountain bike - 1997 Marin Rift Zone

I am a human

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone.

I've been a roadie for a couple of years but I've only this week come to owning a mountain bike. Thanks to a generous uncle who doesn't seem to have ridden it much I now own this 1997 Marin Rift Zone, which seems to be behaving itself apart from a couple of shifting niggles that I need to look at.

I never had a mountain bike as a kid but I remember people in the mid nineties going on about Marins. I'm really looking forward to putting some knobbly tyres on it and leaving the tarmac behind for a change!

What do folks think?

Attachments

• Marin.JPG
    Marin.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 511
Looks to be in great shape. Welcome to the forum :)

raidan73":ah2qhjlo said:
Looks to be in great shape. Welcome to the forum :)
Thanks! I'm sort of questioning the wisdom of starting mountain biking on a relatively old school machine. I imagine there's quite a few cans of worms to open when it comes to maintenance and upgrades. But I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth!

Re:

There is no detriment to going 'old school' (retro) in the mountainbike world, other than if you smash something up, finding replacement bits is sometimes quite a challenge. Try not to wreck anything; or, if you value the machine and want to go at it hard, buy a contemporary bike you can throw around in the rocks, and save your gem for gentlemanly sunny rides.

:D

Back