Pre-Klein Trek 9000

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
Collected this on the way home tonight. I know these bikes are left wanting as far as the suspension goes but I love the look of them. And it's in great condition. And it's in my size. :D

It was being sold by the original owner, who had bought it new from a bike dealer in Austin, Texas in 1993 (but I reckon it might be a '92 model).

Anyhow, it's mostly original spec - saddle and tyres aside (and the Gripshift, surely?). I already have a pair of Matrix tyres, so the plan is to clean it up, polish it up, replace a few components, and source a few NOS/VGC bits for it.

Here it is as I found it.

Attachments

• IMG_3294.jpg
    IMG_3294.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMG_3286.JPG
    IMG_3286.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 1,239
brilliant thread title and very nice original bike! Easy gains to be had in the looks department by lowering that ridiculously high handlebar :LOL:

Re:

A good clean and a bit of polish and she'll come nice.

Always been interested to experience the ride on one of these, I guess after all these years the rubber on the Arse end won't be anything like what it was when new

post some pics up when you've cleaned it.

The title caught my attention too. :D

These bikes are quirky and fun and were very well appointed. Many say a waste of good components but I ride mine from time to time and brought it back to the exacting factory spec as it was the day I took delivery of it new in 92. Not too bad of a ride if you wind up the preload linkage. Below is a link to my 9500 with some spec info if needed. I still have some extra matrix tires and rims from the build if you run into any snags.

Great find & enjoy!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=315793&hilit=Trek+9500

Re:

Ha, thanks guys - glad someone else likes the title. :D

After a tweak with an allen key, a period saddle, amberwalls and a wipe down with an old rag, the looks of this bike have improved no end.

A new Zoom stem is already on its way - that just leaves the lever shifters. It currently has Gripshift on it but the '92 catalogue has it wearing XT Rapidfire Plus - which will be ST-M095 I reckon. (If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it.)

Spud - I think this is an air shock. It still seems to work OK (plenty of travel in it) but haven't ventured too close just yet. I understand these came with a special pump - of which an adapter is also available. Anyone know what it's called?

Smithjss70 - I'd be interested to know more about the Matrix tyres, are they blackwall or amberwall etc. :D

The shock is actually stacked, ring elastomers and will loose their integrity over time. You can replace and upgrade the rear suspension to air with a Risse Shock but they are pretty $alty. I've never ridden one of these frames with that shock but Risse makes top quality shocks and I've had them on motoX bikes over the yrs. Correct on the XT 095s. On the tires, I think I have both amber walls and black walls. I'll confirm today. In the meantime here is a PDF of the specs.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher ... alTrek.pdf

Re:

Love my 9200, so much I have a spare frame with swingarm! I decided to build with m737 parts and is finished as of today. Pics in a bit!!! Following this thread closely!!!

Re: Re:

JonTom":10lj38ro said:
Smithjss70 - I'd be interested to know more about the Matrix tyres, are they blackwall or amberwall etc. :D

Here is what I found on hand. Two Matrix amberwall Cliff Hangers that are NOS and two black Matrix Cliff Climbers (one NOS & one with some use).

JEMjV8.jpg

HmsYMv.jpg

8cMvEj.jpg

I went with Smoke/Dart combo

cBGy4y.jpg

AVqvj9.jpg

KlqXai.jpg

Mz8TA5.jpg

Back