1992 Rocky Mountain Blizzard --- NEW PICS Feb 12

TheJackel2013

Retro Guru
Well I just finished another later model Blizzard build (soon to be documented in another thread). That frame was a size too small so I turned it into an urban hipster neighbourhood bike.

Today I was bored at work, so I scanned my local classifieds. Couldn't believe my luck. New ad with a 1992 Blizzard in my size of 18.5 and with some nice bits on it. Best part, it was $200 Cdn (less than 100 GBP). I scooped it up before my local Retrobike nemesis had a chance to see it.....Newman.

Paint is too rough to save, so it will get resprayed in 1991 colours which I prefer to the 92. Otherwise the build will be influenced by some near mint Deore DX MT-60 Cantilevers in that more rare flat black finish. Nothing will happen to this build for a couple of months while I finish my 96 Altitude T.O.

It came with some dirty but VGC condition Ritchey Cantis

And a mysterious Titanium handlebar, any ideas who made this one? I don't think it's Syncros even though it has a sleeve.

Re:

Not a bad score! I think the '92 is one of the best handling frames I know. Real all rounder. Sporty geometry but not a pure racer. Comfortable enough for long rides but not a laidback tourer. And strong!

Sure about the repaint? Using a good polish can do miracles with old paint and the '91 Blizzard is significantly different than this version. What is the fork? Originally, it came with a black Tange Struts, I believe there is one for sale here on retrobike.

Follow with interest!

Re: 1992 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

TheJackel2013":2bm95b6i said:
..and a mysterious Titanium handlebar..

Needs trimming, looks a bit wide.. :shock: :LOL:

Those MT60s look familiar. Glad they arrived safe and sound :D

The paint is really bad, rattle-can with bad overspray, very scratched and chipped. It's going to be a wall-hanger so a full respray is the way to go. With my other Rockies, I doubt I would ride this one more than 1-2x a year.

Handlebar is 520mm wide. Narrow but about what I had BITD when I was 25 years younger when I cut all my bars down to better negotiate the single track. I think I even ran with a 500 for a while. Of course I would have preferred it to be longer, but still stoked to get a titanium bar at this price.

Jeez Pete, had I known you were on here I would have made you a deal off Ebay to save us both some money. LOL

I'm a bit confused about the frame. The Serial is I9108XXXX means it was made overseas in August 1991. It has a rear noodle and no F derailleur roller, so it's a 92 model, but there's nothing but a slip on seatpost clamp, with zeros signs of repair. So I don't think the original welded clamp was removed. ???

Still super excited to scoop this one up. The seller said that there was a line of people after me, but I got there less than 24 hours after the ad was posted. I'm sure one of the guys behind me was my archrival. It's either him or me that pounces on the retro bikes locally. Lot's of people who have retro bikes in tis city, but really only two hoarders. LOL

TheJackel2013":1xa78ltu said:
Handlebar is 520mm wide. Narrow but about what I had BITD when I was 25 years younger when I cut all my bars down to better negotiate the single track. I think I even ran with a 500 for a while.

I think I trimmed mine down the same to save weight, and look racier.. :facepalm: :LOL:

TheJackel2013":1r3xhghm said:
I'm a bit confused about the frame. The Serial is I9108XXXX means it was made overseas in August 1991. It has a rear noodle and no F derailleur roller, so it's a 92 model, but there's nothing but a slip on seatpost clamp, with zeros signs of repair. So I don't think the original welded clamp was removed. ???

I've got a Blizzard and the serial looks like T(possibly F, could be capital i, but there's nothing on the bottom part)9108 XXX. It has rear noodle, no roller, and the standard built in clamp.

Re:

I saw that kijiji ad and was prepared to make the trip to the capital but alas there was no reply :(
Congrats

Re: Re:

Lord_fowl":20cb2s64 said:
I saw that kijiji ad and was prepared to make the trip to the capital but alas there was no reply :(
Congrats

It's about time that there was a better deal in Ottawa. I always look at the Toronto ads with envy :mrgreen:

Back