96 GT Talera Headset Question,...

Mountaintrail

Dirt Disciple
Hi, picked up this bike, mint condition, already updated the cranks and bottom bracket and wheels to double wall eyelet. Chromoly frame with threaded 25.4/1-1/8 quill steerer, anyone know if this bike takes a standard headset to convert to threadless? Going to install a new suspension fork and pretty sure i'm gonna need to change out the headset to accommodate the threadless steerer. I've done pretty much everything else but I think the OD of the standard 1-1/8 bearing cups should be 34mm, Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey, never mind, I went ahead and tore it apart and measured, it is 34mm exactly for the cups. Just ordered up a Suntour XCT DS 26" fork with new FSA headset, cable hanger that mounts to the fork for the original v brake with a 31.8 stem for the Easton Hi bars that I also have coming. I upgraded the crankset and matching bottom bracket tonight and a nice new set of Redline low pro platform pedals, going to be a mix of old and new school, should be awesome in the trails. Not sure how many post's I have to make before I can post up pics but I will post them up when it's complete.

Back