Winter 2016 Project - 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega XT - DONE!

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Took me a long time to track one of these down in good shape and complete ...

1991 Alpinestsrs Al-Mega XT, with (crucially for me) the original Aluminium Blade forks and head tube supports. Came from a former employee of Alpinestars in the early 90s. He claimed to have ridden it only 10km off road and I believe it. Barely a mark on it. On the downside he stored it in a garage with a skylight so the pink decals show a bit of fade.

Trying to will that 3DV A-Tac to look right but I think it needs to be black.

Re:

Slick looking cro-mega :)

I can just get the stem redone black. It's got some marks in it anyways. I have a white one to with noodle but that's being saved for my Yeti build (got everything but ... well ... the yeti :facepalm: )

First rebuild in several months. Most of my previous bikes have been full on bare metal restorations. This is a bit easier ;)

Re: Winter 2016 Project - 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega XT

Love it Jim. Not sure how I overlooked this build thread last night or even today, so glad I've found it now!
Been looking forward to seeing this since you told me it was coming, and the frame looks in impeccable condition. It's a shame about the fading to the decals but that's de rigeur for an original frameset of this Alpinestars vintage! :cool:
I look forward to seeing the final build, and as per recent PMs, I think the 3DV stem could blend in more with further violet anodised bits, but there's always the option to source new A•TAC decals from Gil like I have done for mine if you're going to entertain a repaint/re-ano in black.
Love it mate! :D

Re:

Thanks! This one hits all the marks for 14 year old me. I just love that fork - just monstrous!

Decal fade is my only beef. It's not bad, but I notice it. Par for the course as you say though.

I think I'm just going to get that A-Tac done black. I put a pile of 3DV on it in a mock up and it just didn't look right. That stuff looks awesome on a 1991 DX but just look off on the XT. Shame, because I have some really nice purple bits.

Been polishing ...

Wheelset - Pulstars!

The stem will work with those jobs too I reckon! :) But I know what you mean with it maybe working better on the yellow of a DX.

You're a master of retro builds so I'm sure whatever you decide will be just perfect. :D

regan_ev":3t17fgqz said:
The stem will work with those jobs too I reckon! :) But I know what you mean with it maybe working better on the yellow of a DX.

You're a master of retro builds so I'm sure whatever you decide will be just perfect. :D

I'm more lucky than good - always better to be that ;) Pretty easy to build nice bikes when I'm constantly tripping over great parts.

Those Pulstars are a cool colour. They are actually a dark grey but when bright light hits them they pickup some purple. I believe they the first Pulstars hubs with no dust covers.

Re:

Coming along.

Going to go with a different seatpost clamp, clean up the Syncros post, and decal the A-Tac stem. Probably needs a chain to.

And fix that rear brake guide - upside down.

XT 732-735 group
Pulstar/Araya wheelset
Topline Crank

As you said, coming along. Nicely, may I add!

That rear cable guide is the right way round though :?

Latest posts

Back