Klein Adroit refurb

bat40a6

Retrobike Rider
I have picked up an Adroit frame I can refurbish without worrying about ruining its originality as somebody got there first:

It has a quite few dents and was sprayed with enamel. It has been drilled for V brakes and all of the boron carbon has been lost when it was stripped for re-spray.

Attachments

• Adroit1.jpg
    Adroit1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,407
And progress up to the present day is this:

Right now I have the frame stripped and have epoxied carbon fibre strips to the seatstays and chainstays:

The carbon seems to be well and truly stuck on now. I am hoping that somebody from the site knows how thick the carbon sections should be? From reference pictures the carbon looks quite thinly applied. Can somebody with an Adroit measure the cross section of their seat stay and chain stay tubes? Subtracting the thinnest cross section from the thickest cross section should give the thickness of carbon applied? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Adroit 2.jpg
    Adroit 2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,382
Re:

Is adding thin strips of carbon going to make much difference to the way it rides?

I would think each one would measure different as they were all hand painted by different painters originally?

What colour/s are you going for?

Re:

I doubt the carbon will make much difference to the way it rides. Just wanted to make it as authentic as possible and I enjoy messing about with this sort of thing :)

Regardless of paint thickness, if the tubes start off round and carbon is just laid on the top an bottom of the seat stay tubes then the width of the tube must be narrower than the height? So far my seat stays are just under 1mm taller than they are wide with the carbon added.

I am planning to find something close to pearl black and have some paint masks off ebay that I have had for years. As the frame wasn't in a great state to start, I am free to experiment a bit!

Re:

The original boron composite fiber (or maybe it was a boron/carbon fiber mix) on the MC1 Adroits was applied to the chain stays, seat stays, downtube and fork. It was indeed applied in thin layers that varies depending on the part of the frame it was applied to but I've never seen anything to indicate the precise number of layers or thickness of the material. Although the material's physical properties include strength and light weight, its primary purpose for the Adroit frames is to reduce vibration (think of a piece of felt glued to a tuning fork). With the extreme stiffness of Kleins' frames made even more so with Adroit's thicker 2" downtube, Klein would appear to recognize that rider comfort can be compromised as frame stiffness increases and thus the application of boron fiber to the frame. Whether or not you'll actually notice the reduction in vibration is another story - some riders are more sensitive than others.

Re:

I think on the subject of roundness, did they not also use some kind of filler to smooth things out? The bottle cage bolt raised areas for example?

Back