Rust bucket I got for $27 while on holiday

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
I put this on my wart hoist thinking it would go for more than I could afford while on holiday, ended up getting it for $27 as said in the title.

A NZ bike made by a company called Worldrider
A Worldrider Mountain Yak, from I a guessing about 1987-1989. Tange Prestige Tubing, fully fillet brazed.
It was in terrible condition when I picked it up

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 1,193
I got it back to the holiday house, I first took off the chain, which fought me, got the chain broken pretty quick, I then had to get it off the bike, it was rusted solid, like solid! Got it off and folded it into a circle to throw away no easy thing,wow,rusted solid all right.
Tried to undo quick releases, with multi grips of course, because they were also solid so they broke one by one, this thing was a mess.
Came to pull out seat post and . . . . out it come, greased! Stem moved straight away straight away too, looking like it was too rusted! Stoked.
Internal rear brake cable is stuck good, like real good, any ideas on how to best sort that?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,183
Re:

Is the outer running all the way through? So although it may be plastic, it covers a steel metal coul which if rusty, will expand, thus possibly being the source of the problem.

Start by applying penetrating fluid and gentkly push and tug it. Last thing you want is to snap the cable outer. Conti.ue for a week.

If no joy, apply heat to soften the plastic outer although too much that may melt and make the problem worse in which you would need more heat to burn off the plastic.

Another angle of the seat clamp arrangement, I am loving the quality of this frame.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 945
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 945
Re:

Love this post, thanks for the step by step pictures!!

These are the restorations I like, getting a very old and battered bike back to life, and not those boutique restorations where the "hardest" part is to find that NOS XTR derailleur in ebay.

Hope you don't get any more bad surprises and manage to get the bike back on the road. These are the kind of bikes the "parts bin" is for!!

Turns out through info that this is possibly a custom build, which is exciting!
Got the cable out of the internal routing!!
Will load a pic soon!

Latest posts

Back