Rock Lobster #0067

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
since the retrobike forum helped me a lot in the past, I am pleased to invite you to follow my build thread on a very special Rock Lobster frame.

Since the early 90s and my first BMX I almost riding single speed on all my bikes I had since then. Not really on purpose but I ever liked to maintain my bike by myself and the shifting stuff always give me a hard time - so the easiest way to bypass this: riding single speed. But just in the last few years a become more and more aware of classic mountain bikes. My first one was a Cannondale M2000 two years ago, followed by some more and finally leads to my first real single speed mountain bike, a DeKerf build in 2000. Also the DeKerf is still more than a nice bike, its actually amazing, I liked the idea of having a early 90s single speed mountain bike with -and here the trouble began- track dropouts.

Well, after starting two searchs in this year I decided to want to have a Rock Lobster. After a while I had to recognized that might be impossible, especially Paul Sadoff told me that he build just 10 of them until 1994. But he told me as well that he had sold a frame from 1993 to a bike shop which is a kind of mountain bike museum, too. Long story short, I contacted the shop, payed a fair ammount of money and got this a few days ago:

As I said, it is a 1993 build frame. Paul Sadoff made it for a active rider, named Pat Schott who attended with this ride to some legendary single speed races in California back in the days. After Schott moving away from California he asked Paul Sadoff to sell the frame for him. It goes to the bike shop and now its mine... :xmas-big-grin:

Very nice. A Rock Lobster is on my wanted list. Paul Sadoff is just all good IMO. A true small time builder than never lost his roots.

Lovely colour to boot!

Re:

Oh sweet! :cool:

This is going to be ace.

I was born in 67, so by rights I should have the frame.

al. :D

:xmas-cool: nice early Christmas present to yourself. :xmas-big-grin:

It is a nice colour, what size is it?
Look forward to the build. :xmas-cool:

Re:

I've been lucky enough to own 2 of Pauls frames! He makes a very nice pedal iron and a nice chap too.

Love the single speed... Looking forward to seeing finished bike

Thanks for your answers!
Well, I am not ready now to finish the build but have some pics to share:

Rear wheel with Campa sthenos rim laced to a prototype PAUL WORD hub with WI freewheel

Front wheel with Campa as well, laced to a red naked Hershey hub

Bontrager/Titec handlebar

some pieces together

More to follow :)

Back