96 Kona Muni-Mula

Buzzsaw

Retro Guru
After searching and failing to find a 90's period Kula frame I managed to purchase the next best thing on the Bay - a 96 Kona Muni-Mula which arrived the other day. It's not pristine condition with the odd scratches on paint and decals, minor bumps on the top tube but it's original and a rider. Love the champagne colour scheme and reminds me of the 94 Kula. I already had a donor 96 Kula bike with a cracked frame and recently transfered most parts to my Smoke frame viewtopic.php?f=21&t=260607.
That in turn will now be stripped to go on the Muni. Brakes will be a spare set of Curve cantilevers and need to track down another set of 90's Marzocchi XC forks with threaded steerer so I can use the Kona headset. Never ridden a Kona Aluminium xc bike proper and only ridden their suspension and steel bikes from that period so will be intrigued to find out once this is finished.

Attachments

• dropout.jpg
    dropout.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,740
  • muni.jpg
    muni.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,741
  • muni-mula.jpg
    muni-mula.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,740
Re:

Not much progress but had final ride on my Smoke before dismantling it for parts (which majority of the running gear came from a 96 Kula with a cracked frame) to go on the Muni. Still waiting for a pair of mid 90's Marzocchi XC forks and a XT m737 rear derailleur in the post.

Attachments

• DSCF6070.jpg
    DSCF6070.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,624
  • DSCF6094.jpg
    DSCF6094.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,624
  • DSCF6105.jpg
    DSCF6105.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,625
Re:

I have a set of the marzocchi forks you're looking for. They came off my 95' Kona Sex Too, and are solid black. I believe I have a nos set of decals for them and a nos set of seals and wipers as well so they can be rebuilt. PM me if you're interested.

Re:

Still waiting for forks and threaded steerer tube in the post so here's some pics of half a bike. Substituted my donor seatpost to my original Kona O-beam seatpost from my 94 Kilauea as the former didn't fit too well. XT m737 derailleurs front and rear mated with a Sugino Mighty 900 crankset.

Attachments

• mula1.jpg
    mula1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,431
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,427
  • crankset.jpg
    crankset.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • mula2.jpg
    mula2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,436
Re:

Finally finished. Had to wait for the forks in the post and didn't realise it had a press in steerer crown from the usual adjustable one and then I accidently mucked up getting the wrong size threaded steerer! Measured the right size and then the next supplier sent me one too long so I ended cutting it down. I swapped the fork crown from Kilauea over which did the trick and then had trouble trying to get the Marzocchi pivot brake bridge to work with the Curve cantilevers so resorted to the same setup I had on my Kilauea. Give it a run tomorrow. :D

Attachments

• frontend.jpg
    frontend.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,290
  • DSCF6170.jpg
    DSCF6170.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,292
  • DSCF6176.jpg
    DSCF6176.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • DSCF6198.jpg
    DSCF6198.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,294
  • DSCF6177.jpg
    DSCF6177.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,292
Re:

That Muni-Mula looks a lot nicer with the parts you fitted over original spec. The gold frame never looked right with the bright yellow Quadra 21R, in my opinion. The Sugino chainset looks good too! Hopefully it rides well.

Re: Re:

al-onestare":1d73utzj said:
Agreed but please lower that nose

Yep, reckon turning the seatpost 180 would help immensely ;)

Nice, especially like the '94 Kilauea in the background

Re:

The "nose" is at a comfy position thank you very much. :D Took it for a spin over the weekend and it handles like a dream and feels noticeably quicker going up hill. Even the Curve cantilevers had a more positive feel when going downhill. However had to cut short the ride because the front cantilever mounting post worked loose and caused the pad to rub on the rim ( dooh didn't check it during build and didn't have a 10mm spanner on the ride :facepalm: ) so disconnected it and rode on. Like it alot and I think the Kilauea will be taking a well earned break for the next few rides.

Attachments

• DSCF6218.jpg
    DSCF6218.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,111
  • DSCF6230.jpg
    DSCF6230.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 1,109
Back