1994 Rocky Mountain Altitude

Blizz

Retro Guru
The Altitude has always been one of my favourite Rocky Mountains. I've owned a couple in the past, but they were too big for me. Earlier this year I finally found one in my size, 18.5", so I'm looking forward to riding this one once it's built up!

I got it from the rainy West Coast and the bike had lots of use and I think it must have been stored outside for a long time. Unfortunately, it has a lot of rust bubbling under the paint and many large scrapes & chips and a few dints. It's still a really nice bike, but I don't think I'll do much to restore the frame at this time...just put it together and build some wheels, find a few additional parts and have fun with it.

Luckily, it came with the original red/salmon Race Face parts, Syncros stem and post, and a few XTR M900 parts which I will use. I also managed to find a Mag 21 fork that matches the frame nicely!

Attachments

• RaceFaceParts.jpg
    RaceFaceParts.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Mag21.jpg
    Mag21.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 2,033
  • 94Altitude2.jpg
    94Altitude2.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 2,033
Re:

Nice :). Forks are a little later though the nickelite colour tends to suit frames better than the golden colour of the earlier forks
Ideally it would be the 94 forks with the gold alu stantions for a period build.

A bit if rust and scratches would be insignificant to anyone living in wet muddy areas ;-)

Get it riding see how it fits you (as you are doing) and then if like me you'll just keep riding it with it's nice used look :-D

Re:

Beautiful... and the best riding bike I've ever had and also in the best colour schemes with the metallic fade paint too. I think the forks go very well as I'm not one for period builds as that for me would drive me drink!

Really looking forward to this finished.

al.

That looks great! Especially with the original salmon race face parts. I have yet to find and altitude in my size.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1kg8phkz said:
Nice :). Forks are a little later though the nickelite colour tends to suit frames better than the golden colour of the earlier forks
Ideally it would be the 94 forks with the gold alu stantions for a period build.
Ya, I think the nickelite colour came in 95/96. I have a grey mag21 and a gold mag21 from 94 but it just didn't look right. I think the gold fork looks nice on yours with all the gold anodized raceface parts. Most of my parts on my builds are period correct, but once and a while I let a few things slide. :LOL:
Maybe I'll put on a black fork brace and see how it looks.

Edit: Fluffychicken, sorry for the confusion about the gold ano; I must have been thinking about Troje's altitude.

Re:

Score! My '95 is still my favourite bike even when compared to more exclusive kit. The Altitude has the right balance of stiffness, steel ride quality, and handling. I keep looking for another one, but I keep seeing them in too big sizes as well.

Good find. Congratulations. It's worth the restoration.

Re:

More exclusive?, it's not as if the Altitudes where farmed out to tje far east and made in large or medium numbers bikes.

True, but I always regarded some of my friends' bikes as more exclusive for some reason. Ok, compared to say, a YBB, OCLV, Klein, or even Merlin, the Altitude is a damn nice ride and still my personal favourite. Not even Merlin captures that feeling you get on an Altitude when you stand up on it in the middle ring and go. Not too firn, not a noodle. Like you suddenly became a good dancer. Amazing.

Again, worth the restoration.

Re:

Maybe because you live (if youve always lived there) with them
A bit like we lived with Orange and Pace over here.

Rocky Mountain were pretty exclusive over here especially the top and hand Altitudes as they where so damn expensive
Round here they where up there with the Fats and Kliens etc as top hand made jobs.
Even though Pace where they where 'just really good interesting bikes from down the road'
And Orange where every man's bikes like Konas (except the Hot), Marin, Spesh, Trek.
At least in the early 90s

Back